Thread: ND solution for P4K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ND solution for P4K 
    Hi,

what are you using as ND solution for Pocket? I am trying to find the best solution but after living with internals NDs for long time it is more difficult than I thought it will be.

My lenses have 86, 82, 77 and 67 threads.

I was looking at Xume, but max diameter is 82 and it vignettes at wide angle lenses anyway. Also I read some mixed reviews about the system. So I came up with 2 options. One is buy set of Tokina IRND 86mm and a lot of step up rings. Second is NiSi C4 holder and set of NiSi Nano IRND 4x4 filters. Price in total seems similar, NiSi holder has advantage of easy stacking of filters. Screw on filter has advantage of simplicity.

Any other solution? Don't want to go with Matte boxes..

Thanks!

What about a Wooden Camera zip box? It's pretty compact and allows you to use up to two 4x4 without worrying about lens size.

For my set-up, I have IR cut on the lens itself, and then 4x4 NDs.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    What about a Wooden Camera zip box? It's pretty compact and allows you to use up to two 4x4 without worrying about lens size.

hmm this does look like a good solution, I do hate having to screw in filters.

Do you have multiple IR cuts for each lens or do you swap it out?

Draw back here is that you may need an adapter anyway to get the lens diameter up to 80-85 for the ring to clamp down. Which is a lot like what I'm running now, using different adapters to step up my lens filters to 82mm.

The Benefit here is it's a more future proof investment if you plan on getting or renting better/ bigger cinema glass.

A cheap solution is Cokin filter setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    hmm this does look like a good solution, I do hate having to screw in filters.

Do you have multiple IR cuts for each lens or do you swap it out?

Draw back here is that you may need an adapter anyway to get the lens diameter up to 80-85 for the ring to clamp down. Which is a lot like what I'm running now, using different adapters to step up my lens filters to 82mm.

The Benefit here is it's a more future proof investment if you plan on getting or renting better/ bigger cinema glass.
    I have the Xume magnetic adapters for my circular on lens filters. At this point, I've gotten rid of all of my circular filters except for the IR cut (which stays on virtually all the time) and a variable ND that I have for more run 'n' gun situations where swapping ND filters could cause me to miss a shot - basically live events. Of course, I've also sold most of my lenses. I'm in a simplify, simplify, simplify mode.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post

Zip Box looks interesting. How tight is it on still lenses with adapter? For example put it on rig which is mounted on a car rig.

I have the Nisi IRNDs and they're really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzzxx View Post
    I have the Nisi IRNDs and they're really good.
    Are you using NiSi C4 holder?

Quote Originally Posted by KrocanX View Post
    Are you using NiSi C4 holder?
    Yes, although it's the rebranded (exactly the same) photo version. The only annoying part is that the polarization filter that comes with it is in there pretty loosely, and it will almost inevitably pop off at some point when you're removing the filter from the lens. Also doesn't do a good job of polarizing for me, for some reason. But the actual filters are in there tight and are really good quality, I stack them sometimes with no visible problems so far.