Thread: no battery grip for the pocket 4K yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not a "battery grip" in the strict sense but it is an option I have posted about before.

That's basically setting your camera on a v-lock battery. I don't hate it, but it's definitely not the ergonomic of a DSLR-style battery "grip" that conforms to the shape of the camera and accommodates the shape of a human hand.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Not a "battery grip" in the strict sense but it is an option I have posted about before.
    That's basically setting your camera on a v-lock battery. I don't hate it, but it's definitely not the ergonomic of a DSLR-style battery "grip" that conforms to the shape of the camera and accommodates the shape of a human hand.
    Which is why I said it isn't a "battery grip" in the strict sense.

DSLR's are primarily made for taking pictures with video being a recent secondary function. The reason their battery grips are shaped the way they are is for portrait orientation picture taking. Unless someone is a Luddite that shoots 4k portrait videos they have no need for a "DSLR" style battery grip.

The device is bulky to be sure and it isn't cheap. The other issue is if the battery goes dead you have to detach the entire device. You don't simply replace the battery. The battery has quite a bit of capacity. But it is not an "all day" solution. It has USB ports so if you power sound off of it as well and have an IS lens I really wonder how long it will last.

Since people were capitulating and buying vmount solutions I figured why not bring up just bolting the vmount battery to the camera.

This v mounting plate was showcased as an add-on to tiltas cage system on newshooter but I don't see it on their website.

18.jpg

Does it have a screw on the bottom of the v-lock itself also, for mounting it on tripods, ronin s etc?

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Does it have a screw on the bottom of the v-lock itself also, for mounting it on tripods, ronin s etc?
    Yes, but I sure wouldn't want to have to balance it on a gimbal.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Which is why I said it isn't a "battery grip" in the strict sense.

DSLR's are primarily made for taking pictures with video being a recent secondary function. The reason their battery grips are shaped the way they are is for portrait orientation picture taking. Unless someone is a Luddite that shoots 4k portrait videos they have no need for a "DSLR" style battery grip.

The device is bulky to be sure and it isn't cheap. The other issue is if the battery goes dead you have to detach the entire device. You don't simply replace the battery. The battery has quite a bit of capacity. But it is not an "all day" solution. It has USB ports so if you power sound off of it as well and have an IS lens I really wonder how long it will last.

Since people were capitulating and buying vmount solutions I figured why not bring up just bolting the vmount battery to the camera.
    The bottom grip form factor isn't only useful for portrait orientation, but I get your point.

90%+ of the time I'm shooting in a rig. But for those times where I really do need the most compact, streamlined version possible - and don't want to deal with the anxiety of the Pocket 4K's anemic internal battery - a purpose designed, form-fitting, ergonomic battery grip would be the best solution. I wish the camera didn't need it, but the s*** internal battery situation makes it a very desirable add-on. The electronics if using the 12v port are trivial...I wish I were a better CAD operator, because it's really all about the industrial design.
    Pocketluts Store

I wish I were a better CAD operator, because it's really all about the industrial design.
    I did industrial design but I wish I was a circuitry wiz to make sure I dont blow stuff up =) Designing a housing is one thing, playing with electricity is another thing all together ha

Yes, but I sure wouldn't want to have to balance it on a gimbal.
    Does anybody got any experience with this setup on a ronin s?
    This does look like the best option out there for now. I could even use this on my UMP right? Which makes this probably a really good option.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    I did industrial design but I wish I was a circuitry wiz to make sure I dont blow stuff up =) Designing a housing is one thing, playing with electricity is another thing all together ha
    I would recommend to team up with some RC dude. You could make some nice money and many users happy)