Thread: no battery grip for the pocket 4K yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 no battery grip for the pocket 4K yet? 
    Heey guys,

There is no battery grip for the pocket 4K in existence right now is there? Would be a great addition to the pocket 4K, without loose cables and DIY stuff. (and as most dsl's and mirrorless camera's got them, would be failry easy for a pocket 4K as well I presume, maybe even a 5D III grip cutting some corners might already work).
    Great thing about this is that it will allow the batteries to slide out to the left which means I can mount it to the ronin S, and change batteries while camera is still mounted on the ronin S.

Cheers

I'm surprised, as well. Plastic moulding is expensive compared to machine milling metal, but given the number of cages and accessories available, this is clearly a popular camera with a clear need and market. Even though I mostly shoot with a full rig, I'd still buy one for the times I need to strip down.

4 1850's in a reasonably slim, form-fitted grip would sell like hotcakes.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Waiting too! Meanwhile I have mini V mounts

I think the hard part is picking a battery system. Most just use the same battery as included with the camera but we know the LPE6 isn't sufficient. No one would want a grip with built in batteries either and using loose 18650's offers them a chance to not be charged evenly but they're be the best bet for price and form I think, I can't think of anything with enough capacity that would fit nicely in a grip.

4x 18650s in a long closable tray could work so all the customer has to do is insert batteries in the correct polarity. Would give you 7.4v at like 6800 may? Could sell it with extra trays. Connected into the LP-E6 slot for no wires.
    Last edited by Ryanite; 01-29-2019 at 03:48 PM.

If anyone does make one it'd be wise to include an extra off set mounting point for gimbal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I think the hard part is picking a battery system. Most just use the same battery as included with the camera but we know the LPE6 isn't sufficient. No one would want a grip with built in batteries either and using loose 18650's offers them a chance to not be charged evenly but they're be the best bet for price and form I think, I can't think of anything with enough capacity that would fit nicely in a grip.

4x 18650s in a long closable tray could work so all the customer has to do is insert batteries in the correct polarity. Would give you 7.4v at like 6800 may? Could sell it with extra trays. Connected into the LP-E6 slot for no wires.
    Honestly I would be happy with 2 LPE6's in a battery grip, anything better is a plus.

a port to power the nano would be nice also =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post

I would also vote for 18650's, but I'd prefer a short cable running into the 12v connector so that you'd still have the internal battery as a failsafe and for hot swapping.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

shijan was working on a 18650 solution for the micro i think with circuitry. Could be adapted to a quick release grip case like the Core SWX running into 12v so its still hot swappable. running just 4 of them would make for a super low profile battery base solution.

Saw this on a facebook group, but rail holes in the battery grip is something that could be usefull.