Thread: Half cage or Full cage? BMPCC 4k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Half cage or Full cage? BMPCC 4k 
    I'm leaning toward grabbing the smallrig cage because it's built in nato rail is super handy, but one thing I can see is that it looks like the cage will block the user from being able to press the 3 function buttons with their index finger. The tilta cage looks more stylish but also has a little groove cut out where by the looks of it you'll be able to still access the three buttons.

So since I don't want to have to bolt on an odd looking nato rail to a tilta cage (I've never liked using cold shoes) I'm considering going with the smallrig half cage so the entire right side of the camera is easy to access, other than the cage acting as a metal skeleton on falls what other downsides are there to running with the smallrig half cage instead?

Just as a side bar, what I don't like about cold shoes is most of them use a single screw and tend to rotate. I had a problem with a single screw cold shoe on the cage for my BMPC. I got a cold shoe from Small Rig that uses two screws and it resolved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    Just as a side bar, what I don't like about cold shoes is most of them use a single screw and tend to rotate. I had a problem with a single screw cold shoe on the cage for my BMPC. I got a cold shoe from Small Rig that uses two screws and it resolved the problem.
    My problem with them is usually the difference in tolerance between the devices that go in them sometimes making it hard to tighten completely and having them come lose or even fall out completely when in use. Nato rail and a quick release monitor mount fixes this right up.

I've got the full SmallRig cage on my P4K and haven't noticed a problem accessing any of the buttons. In fact the only niggle I've noticed with the cage (and this is almost certainly true of every cage on the P4K) is it makes it tricky to move the port covers out of the way when plugging in cables - but that's due to a design fault on the port covers (I haven't got to the point where I feel the need to remove them yet though)

Quote Originally Posted by markmwilliams View Post
    I've got the full SmallRig cage on my P4K and haven't noticed a problem accessing any of the buttons. In fact the only niggle I've noticed with the cage (and this is almost certainly true of every cage on the P4K) is it makes it tricky to move the port covers out of the way when plugging in cables - but that's due to a design fault on the port covers (I haven't got to the point where I feel the need to remove them yet though)
    Interesting, do you have large hands? How are you finding holding the cameras grip + the extra width of the cage. I have some what smaller hands so this is also a worry for me, though it would be a nice peace of mind to know the camera is completely protected in a full cage, even though I've never dropped or had any of my cameras fall before, you never know.

I think having a complete metal skeleton is reason enough for a full cage. The Pocket 4k body feels like a potato chip and I would be extremely hesitant to ever use mine on set without full protection.

I like SmallRig al lot but it is blocky and if you touch the camera daily you want it smooth.
    I really like the HDMI-Clamp Solution of the Tilta Cage. But the TOP Design of the cage is just crap.
    I donīt use Colt Shoe mounts at all.. and those screws on top of the tilta cage sucks.

I end up buying the 8Sinn Half cage and I like it a lot. Feels light and solid and
    I got "front screw holes" on the top plate which is pretty nice and I also can mount
    everyhting I want on top and button. Just a lot of holes. Which I like.
    If i want a nato Rail I get some small nato rail by SmallRig and screw it onto the 8Sinn Cage.

If you buy a Speedbooster the Tilta and SmallRig option also sucks.
    With the 8Sinn design you can remove the thing (foot) underneath the Speedbooster and
    replace it with the 8Sinn support thing for Speedbooster which looks 10 times better than
    SmallRig and Tilta.

I've got two cameras and one of each. The only thing that I can say is that if you are going to attaching things to the right hand side of the camera you need a full. Otherwise the half works just fine.

In my case I find myself in two situations. The first is when I need stuff attached. You know the drill. Field monitor, follow focus, battery, microphone, timecode generator, etc. The second is when you want to be as small as you can be. Almost nothing...

I have found that I LOVE the Nato rails being built in. Didn't see that coming at all.

I love shooting with SmallRig's wooden handle and the half cage and that's it. Realistically I spend more time on a tripod but that's just the nature of how the shoots roll out.

Yeah the nato rail built in is the real draw for me and although I'd like the peace of mind of a full cage I don't think I'll enjoy the feel of the full cage.

The 8sin does look to have a really good fit and aesthetic but the smallrig is just so much cheaper i can't pass that up haha.

Does anyone know if the half cage still allows enough off centre mounting for a gimbal and if the additional weight to the left side becomes a balancing issue? At the moment I have a glidecam which pairs super well with the rear 5 inch monitor but eventually I'll grab a gimbal.

As for attaching things I think I'll run a half cage, with smallrig nato quick release monitor mount and some sort of feelworld monitor (I'm hoping they come out with a 5inch ultra bright soon). Not too much but enough to add a good weight with lens OIS for handheld and something that can be packed away quickly if it rains or there's nothing interesting to shoot. Then for things more substantial than hobby work I'd probably run some rails and clamp everything off the rails.

I like my Tilta - I'm running the half cage now, but have the option of re-attaching the right side to make it a full cage. I may do that so my nucleus Nano FF can slide over a bit and not lose my center cold shoe/handle attachment (waiting for Tilta to release their cage mounted rod attachment. The rod mount base plate included is only left handed and you need the weight on the right side to balance on the Ronin-S...even with the base plate as far over on the bottom of the cage.)

but for the record...I do miss the small rig built-in NATO rails.