Thread: BMCC 2.5k lens advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMCC 2.5k lens advice 
    Hello there,

I need your advice guys. I searching the internet for weeks now for a good all around lens for my BMCC 2.5k and the more I research the more confused I get.
    Currently I use a Zeiss Distagon 2,8/28mm with a speed booster (0,71x) so I get around 45mm in angle of view which is nice but sometimes not wide enough. (Come from T2i where I used the 18-55 kit lens for wider shots)
    I shoot mostly music videos and small hobby stuffs, maybe short films in the future.
    The sigma 18-35 1.8 art which everyone suggest (for a good reason obviously) is just way over my current budget, renting is not an option in my case.

Here are my options (plus your suggestions of course)

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC SP ($175)
    Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM ($240)
    Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 Pro DX II ($339)

Thanks,
    Mikey

I have the sigma 2.8 on my micro atm and while it's okay, it's not great. Very short focus throw, ois works but introduces pan judder and at the wider end 17, it's a bit softer.

I've heard very good things about the tokina 11-16 and would probably go for that as an all round wide lens.

I had the Tokina 11-16 on my BMCC and liked it! Also used the Sigma 17-50/2.8 a lot but the focus throw really is ridiciously short.

thanks for your feedbacks! I tend to buy the 11-16 but the footages I've seen so-far was always the EF version (w/o speedbooster) I would use it with mft + speedbooster so the angle of view will be somewhat different.

Although I used the Tamron 17-50mm and was really satisfied with it, IŽd say save some money and get the Sigma 18-35mm.
    Sure, it depends on what you want to do with it and how much you prioritize image- and build-quality.
    Both of those lenses work great with the BMCC, but I use/used the EF-Version without any Speedbooster.

Quote Originally Posted by Light&Color View Post
    Although I used the Tamron 17-50mm and was really satisfied with it, IŽd say save some money and get the Sigma 18-35mm.
    Sure, it depends on what you want to do with it and how much you prioritize image- and build-quality.
    Both of those lenses work great with the BMCC, but I use/used the EF-Version without any Speedbooster.
    thx for your reply! Another aspect which I have to consider is that occasionally I would like to borrow this to my GF who uses Canon 6D and the sigma is an APSC lens.

I've used the Sigma on a feature doc and it worked fine for what it was. I would only get the 18-35mm if you are shooting in low light. For everything else 2.8 is good enough.

Clearly the best option here is to be able to rent / borrow and try for youself. Often the results will surprise you. I have the Tokina 11-16mm in Nikon mount. And I love it as a wide lens paired with my BMCC. But tastes will vary I suppose.

None of the lenses you listed can be shared with a full frame camera like a 6d, they are all for aps-c cameras. It won't be 2.8 but can't you just mount your kit 18-55 to see if speed boosted 18mm is wide enough for your needs? 11-16 will obviously be wider over entire range. There is also the newer 11-20, which would make for a more versatile range, combine with your 28 and a 50 you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Clearly the best option here is to be able to rent / borrow and try for youself. Often the results will surprise you. I have the Tokina 11-16mm in Nikon mount. And I love it as a wide lens paired with my BMCC. But tastes will vary I suppose.
    thanks! I would rent if I could. I couldn't find any Tokina 11-16 in my country. Can you please share some footage taken with the bmcc mft + Tokina 11-16? The majority of the videos I've seen so far were taken with the EF version w/o SB.