Thread: 2019 predictions for BMD

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    My fourth Pocket 4k arrived today. I canceled my Day 1 pre-order with Adorama before they started shipping and have since purchased 4 cameras on 4 different occasions (as they've had a one per order limit).

I have to echo the few who've said to check with smaller dealers. I've had solid luck with Kellard's.

A friend preordered very late but got his P4K in November from a smaller retailer in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    FF camera has to be coming soon.
    I hope not, past S35 gets less usable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    In all cases with stuck "Canon" batteries it turned out they were faked Canon batteries, not genuine. All problems started with cheap third party batteries not being up to the task because the camera is consuming so much more power than a standard DSLR. When those batteries get discharged at the high rate the camera demands - those cheap cells get really stressed and fail - dissipating a lot of extra heat or even bulge.
    Where BMD has failed was to take better care of which batteries people are gonna use and instruct people accordingly. While they released a list of recommended flash media, they also should have released a list of recommended (or even certified) batteries, taking out the guesswork.

I can see why users think it is a problem of the camera when in truth it is a problem of the battery. Most users don't know much about how batteries work, about charge and discharge rates and so on. Or about basic electronic knowledge like P = I * U and so on. It is the duty of the camera manufacturer to make sure end users can't harm their camera and to instruct them accordingly. If end users then choose to ignore the instructions then they are on their own.
    Starts with bad design. UMP was designed without specific camera in place, but Pocket and P4K power is kind of afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    Starts with bad design. UMP was designed without specific camera in place, but Pocket and P4K power is kind of afterthought.
    Yeah, I think it would have been better to go with a 14.4 V battery solution, like the Canon BP-A30 - even if that had meant more expenses initially for the end users - but that would have avoided a lot of problems.

There are many options that would work far better, compared to LP-E6N. Of course camera like this would be far more power hungry, if you compare it to something like Canon XC-10, which uses the same battery. I own XC10, and battery life is my biggest gripe, other wise it's a great little camera for a lot of reasons. I am also not a big fan of DSLR style body for film/video. But yeah, BM missed the whole battery/power issue on P4K again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

They shipped the P4K when they said they would. Some have had some bad battery doors ? What else is there that I've missed ?

JB
    Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isnít a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. Itís a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
    Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isn’t a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. It’s a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.
    What's wrong with you?
    Everybody knows it was just the battery door!!
    Now you've missed nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
    Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isn’t a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. It’s a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.
    One of mine fried as well. BM was great about it. Not a replacement, they just swapped out the board. The whole thing took a week with shipping. Did I say they were great!

I would think that BM needs to put P4K's in people's hands by April. Going into NAB having not fully delivered on a camera you announced at the previous show probably wouldn't look too good...