Thread: 2019 predictions for BMD

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I’m hoping blackmagic announces a major firmware update for the P4K to include bug fixes like T5 SSD recognition, battery % accuracy, camera shutting off (sometimes) when plugging in mains power, preamps improvement (if possible like they did with the bmpcc years ago), white balance (seems to be off) and obviously BRAW implementation. Honestly if they just fixed the ssd issue and implemented BRAW, that would be stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Not that surprising, they value colour and dynamic range over resolution. Everyone else just wants more resolution and/or higher ISO. Arri won't compromise, they won't use a pixel pitch smaller than the Alev sensor, so they make bigger sensors. The Lf camera wasn't made because everyone wants to shoot Full frame, it was made for Netflix's absurd 4K acquisition requirements. 3k Alexa was always good enough for IMAX blow up but not highly compressed streaming tv, so dumb.
    Yeah I dont understand why the big companies dont understand this. They would sell a shitload camera's if they could make something affordable at even 1080p. They know everybody wants to shoot alexa, mindboggling to me why they are investing in 8K, IBIS, ISO 100000, DPAF. We want high DR, amazing colours, and a image that is easily tweaked in post. (something bm still needs to work on)

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Yeah I dont understand why the big companies dont understand this. They would sell a shitload camera's if they could make something affordable at even 1080p. They know everybody wants to shoot alexa, mindboggling to me why they are investing in 8K, IBIS, ISO 100000, DPAF. We want high DR, amazing colours, and a image that is easily tweaked in post. (something bm still needs to work on)

To be fair Alexa is still upresing to 4k, so 4k is a key component. They wouldn't make any money putting out a 1080p only camera now.

Maybe not for all types of shooting but 4k has saved me a bunch of times simply being able to punch in and deliver at 1080. Mostly for coroorate stuff but still.

Another point to me is that the pocket 4k looks a lot more like modern cinema than the original. Not sharp so to speak but full of detail where the original could start to get mashed a bit when given too much detail, not to mention the moire.

So to me 4k is a welcome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    They are shipping cameras, so your prediction is already true !
    The P4K has been their most successful camera in terms of sales. Itís going to take them a while to deal with that pent up success.

JB
    BM is shipping cameras like a dripping faucet.
    You probably will get more out of a dripping faucet.
    Maybe in 2019 BM will discover what on time delivery and quality control are.
    I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    BM is shipping cameras like a dripping faucet.
    You probably will get more out of a dripping faucet.
    I am curious: how many products with world wide pre-orders up to a hundred thousand have you launched so far so you could do it better?
    Are you aware that because of the high demand it is not possible to deliver on time to everyone, even though they ship several thousand cameras each month?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    I am curious: how many products with world wide pre-orders up to a hundred thousand have you launched so far so you could do it better?
    Are you aware that because of the high demand it is not possible to deliver on time to everyone, even though they ship several thousand cameras each month?
    Oh come on.
    When has BM ever delivered on time?
    Once?
    Quality control.
    Never.
    Fantasies are supposed to be part of the story board.
    Not what the camera man believes about life.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Truly depends on the consumer because what you mentioned we'd want is at the end of my list while DPAF and high ISOs are the top 2. IBIS is in the top 5 but I can also live without it. And 4K resolution is important, however, superior HD from a 4K-6K-8K sensor would work as well.

For unpredictable corporate work/events in low-light environments for clients who love shallow DOF but have constantly moving subjects who can't sit still, I can't do anything with high DR or amazing colors.

And there are hundreds of thousands of others who feel the same which is why those investments are made. People NEED those features.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Madsen View Post
    Please don't do that. They knew exactly what they had on their hands after the success of the original Pocket. This is simply a competence issue.
    Perhaps they've made a decision not to ramp up production to save on costs, but that is on them.

Or they have been overwhelmed by success ? Like..if they've already shipped thousands of cameras and they're still backordered ?

They make few if any announcements, give next to no updates. They leave their resellers and consumers in the dark.
    Like...they have always done ? They're consistent in the way the impart information.

BM deserve credit for their achievements and they deserve to be called out for their shortcomings.
    And you've done so.

They shipped the P4K when they said they would. Some have had some bad battery doors ? What else is there that I've missed ?

Oh come on.
    When has BM ever delivered on time?
    Once?
    They have actually. You can pretend otherwise if you want to keep pushing the myth.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Truly depends on the consumer because what you mentioned we'd want is at the end of my list while DPAF and high ISOs are the top 2. IBIS is in the top 5 but I can also live without it. And 4K resolution is important, however, superior HD from a 4K-6K-8K sensor would work as well.

For unpredictable corporate work/events in low-light environments for clients who love shallow DOF but have constantly moving subjects who can't sit still, I can't do anything with high DR or amazing colors.

And there are hundreds of thousands of others who feel the same which is why those investments are made. People NEED those features.
    DPAF from Canon is really the one to beat.
    DR, RAW it's all there in deep enough shades.
    More DR is overrated.
    We're already there.
    And others already deliver on much higher low light capabilities.
    Those who say they don't want autofocus, are saying that because their favorite pony can't deliver on that.
    They have no clue what it's like to really have, real useable, autofocus in a cinema camera.
    Once they have it, they will never go back.
    And gradeability, others are winning that game as well.
    But they started with deliverables and quality.
    BM has some catching up to do.

I had my first taste of DPAF with the 7D Mark II in 2015 (the same time I owned a big URSA)...I was hooked since then with the 5D Mark IV being my main choice.

Don't get me wrong; I love BM and once would fight to the death for them, but my priorities changed over time and I learned I really hate manual focusing.