Thread: 2019 predictions for BMD

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    They gave raw capturing cinema quality cameras to the masses for a fraction of the price others did . They gave us the best coloring software ever and keep developing it into a full production suite - for free. I think slow shipping is pretty negligible when looking at the big picture.
    And also invented braw.
    Pocket 4k, Resolve 15. braw .... What Blackmagic did in the year 2018 was / is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    The easiest thing for BM to do is pop a BMPCC4K sensor into an Ursa Pro body and sell it for $3K. Much like they did for the Ursa Broadcast. This would be an easy win for BM.

Though I’m hoping that we see a second generation OG Cinema Camera with the BMPCC4K sensor (or the equivalent of it). With a new redesigned body similar to the FS5, internal ND filters and a built in SSD slot.

Either way, selling the BMPCC4K sensor in a better form factor with ENG features for $3K would be a huge hit. For less than $5K you could buy 2 amazing cinema cameras with matching sensors. BM would own the less-than-$5K camera market.
    I would want an mft mount on that camera, which that body wouldn't really allow. But a smaller eng body mft camera would be awesome. Alternatively they could go with a dual ISO sensor super35 from the same family, like the 5.7k in the Panasonic Eva, although that would likely result in same price point as current UMPro.

"Can't get my hands on one" is hardly ever a reason for people to stop wanting to get that thing. So yeah, shipping delays don't seem to bad for them.

I think they'll announce a FF version of the UMP (using one of the new Sony sensors), with a long delay to shipment (maybe NAB announcement and early 2020 for first shipments).

Does anyone know where Kinefinity gets their sensors? The Mavo Large Format w/ dual native ISO is impressive. I’d love to see BMDs version of this.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Does anyone know where Kinefinity gets their sensors? The Mavo Large Format w/ dual native ISO is impressive. I’d love to see BMDs version of this.
    Pretty sure it's Sony, even Panasonic uses Sony.

That aside it is astonishing that the sensor in the ARRI alexa is still unbeaten or unmatched by manufactorers 10 years later (under 20k). 10years in tech years is a really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    That aside it is astonishing that the sensor in the ARRI alexa is still unbeaten or unmatched by manufactorers 10 years later (under 20k). 10years in tech years is a really long time.
    Not that surprising, they value colour and dynamic range over resolution. Everyone else just wants more resolution and/or higher ISO. Arri won't compromise, they won't use a pixel pitch smaller than the Alev sensor, so they make bigger sensors. The Lf camera wasn't made because everyone wants to shoot Full frame, it was made for Netflix's absurd 4K acquisition requirements. 3k Alexa was always good enough for IMAX blow up but not highly compressed streaming tv, so dumb.

How about a Full Frame version of the Pocket 4K with wider dynamic range. I shot Leica's a fair amount. I also shot a variety of Fuji medium format rangefinders. Not exactly the same as an M6 but printing from those large negatives was transcendent. Could BM do something similar with a larger camera? Imagine it's begins with the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Not that surprising, they value colour and dynamic range over resolution. Everyone else just wants more resolution and/or higher ISO. Arri won't compromise, they won't use a pixel pitch smaller than the Alev sensor, so they make bigger sensors. The Lf camera wasn't made because everyone wants to shoot Full frame, it was made for Netflix's absurd 4K acquisition requirements. 3k Alexa was always good enough for IMAX blow up but not highly compressed streaming tv, so dumb.
    lol - amen. I'm hoping BMD doesn't jump into the FF 8k race, but instead focuses on improving dynamic range, refining their color science and bringing BRAW to all of their cameras that can support it... a 2.8k frame size in raw would also be a welcomed addition to their existing 4k cameras.

Shawn

I chuckle whenever someone says full frame when discussing cinematography. Silly rabbits.