Thread: BMPCC4k menu button control

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPCC4k menu button control 
    I posted this on the blackmagic forum but I also wanted to share this here, if you feel this would be a good idea please chime in over there as I hope the more people that can see the benefits of this the more likely something like this will be adopted.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=84798

I would like to share an idea that hopefully more users agree would be helpful and I hope would not be too difficult to implement in a firmware update. Having now used the camera for a few months one of my biggest grievances is the necessity to use the touch screen to access and navigate the menu. This is kinda an issue due to me using and external monitor and I keep the camera screen brightness turned all the way down to conserve the little battery I have. That being said, I would love for the menu to be viewable via HDMI (including data showing if iso, wb or shutter is selected) and also to be able to navigate with the cutom preset buttons on top of the camera. Left button for left, center button for select, and right button for right. Even though this would be slow to use it would be much faster and usable compared to what I'm doing now and in a shooting environment I don't have to reposition to see the back screen. It's also a redundancy in case the touch screen fails. Other users chime in here. I hope this makes sense and everyone could see the value of having this feature.

Jon

+1 on this.

-1. I appreciate the lateral thinking, but I think it would be impractical in practice. I'd rather see the mobile app expanded to offer more control (as it is a better analog to the on-screen menu system) and for more options to be able to be mapped to the function buttons.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Would be also great to have an ON/OFF Button just for the monitor!

I mounted a small monitor on top of the cam so I could get low angle shots handheld. If I have to change settings, like ISO etc, on the fly, I want to see the settings on the external monitor that I'm changing. So having an option to have the menu info on the external monitor is a plus. No wait, -A MUST.

And an Android app would also be nice.

EDIT: I missed another tab in the monitor settings! Now I can see my camera status and other info on the hdmi out! Thanks to mico!
    Last edited by ted ramasola; 01-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Would be also great to have an ON/OFF Button just for the monitor!
    The screen backlight on this and the screen itself draw a negligible amount of power. (Compare the power draw run time for the same battery running a BMD micro.)

You need the screen as it’s what let’s you check the status of the camera and allows you to change camera functions. It’s not JUST a picture monitor.

The (solid state) cooling is what takes all the power. I’ve been told the monitor is only a few small percent of the draw.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by ted ramasola View Post
    I mounted a small monitor on top of the cam so I could get low angle shots handheld. If I have to change settings, like ISO etc, on the fly, I want to see the settings on the external monitor that I'm changing. So having an option to have the menu info on the external monitor is a plus. No wait, -A MUST.

And an Android app would also be nice.
    I also have a external monitor on top. I can see all the settings info on my external monitor. Any changes I make on the camera are seen on the external.

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    I also have a external monitor on top. I can see all the settings info on my external monitor. Any changes I make on the camera are seen on the external.
    ok, I could be missing something here, I could only see the focus assist items like peaking, LUT, false color, zebra, frame guides but not, the rec indicators, run time, audio meters histo, is there a setting to turn them on to hdmi out?

Yep record indicators, histogram audio meters shutter FPS iso wbb tint. Battery I’m looking at it right now play with your monitor settings