Thread: New interesting competition (8k under 5,000)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

In 1-2 years, it will be difficult to find a HD TV. In 2-3 years, it may be difficult to find a 4K TV. 8K TVs will cost 200 bucks and support 4K.

Attachment 27474
    It does now - you can buy a cheap 4K 40" TV at Frys for $199. It may be difficult to find HD TV soon but there is plenty of HD delivered content due to the web, foreign broadcast distribution, and existing HD TV sets that won't be replaced by consumers because they don't need to, income and budget, etc. I know that there are places in Asia and India that still delivers in 4:3 and SD format because people still own SD TVs. A local Asian content distributor for a Asian cable TV channel requires that filmmaker content to be in SD format because of their market base - low income old TV ownership. My aunt subscribes to their content for $12/month and she watches them on a 720p TV with the content displayed on 4:3 format. There's millions of these folks. Nevertheless, technology is progressing faster in places that can use 4K and 8K. Definitely a good thing. I just think HD content, on the other hand, still has a long runway and won't disappear soon.

I said 8K...of course you can get a 4K one for that price.

It's 2019 and my internet speed is 5Mbps, 0.6Mbps upload.
    100Mbps internet is £40 per month, beyond the price point and needs of many average people. The UK only switched off the old analog tv signal a couple of years ago. Quite a few people (surprisingly) still watch B&W tv.
    I think people in highly profitable, well serviced urban areas often forget what is going on in the wider community. As the BBC pointed out, 4K is still some way off for many television consumers. $200 8K in two years? You will be lucky to see 8K as a widely used format by then, let alone dirt cheap.

There’s a difference between using a TV for its intended purpose and owning one because technology has forced most people whom are looking to purchase a new TV to own one. Even with 4K, rarely anyone watches 4K content on their 4K TV. They only own a 4K TV because the 4K TVs pushed the HD TVs out the store, and history will repeat itself once again in a world that’s moving faster than ever.

Personally, I love the 90s and a 4:3 SD delivery of all of the shows I used to watch is right up my alley.

I think the oversampling as mentioned on the last page is what most (or many) are looking forward to. And I'm not necessarily speaking about this camera either; just the advancement of technology in general. Even if all of the new cameras don't shoot 8K, it will be nice to get 8K sensors in them producing super-sampled 4K. (This is going to be a selling point as well as naturally almost any new spec/offering is.)
    After I saw the direction the thread took I wasn't going to post but I decided to respond to your post. It is strange that I mentioned oversampling as pretty common sense present day use for this proposed camera and no one other than you spoke about it. People wanted to discuss the nuances of the ownership structure of an Asian company and 90 year old spinsters with B&W TVs in the Midlands. I truly hope these people are not making any business or creative decisions.

Ever since I started taking photographs with CMOS sensors the oversampling trick was well understood. I find it hard to believe videographers aren't aware of this technique. Do they really believe when a CMOS camera has 4k painted on the box that is all that is need to deliver 4k?

Very peculiar string of replies.

Thereís a difference between using a TV for its intended purpose and owning one because technology has forced most people whom are looking to purchase a new TV to own one. Even with 4K, rarely anyone watches 4K content on their 4K TV. They only own a 4K TV because the 4K TVs pushed the HD TVs out the store, and history will repeat itself once again in a world thatís moving faster than ever.
    I agree. Life is too short. Having philosophical debates on the internet as the world around you marches into the future for better or worse is pointless. Log off. Walk into your nearest electronics or big box store and open your eyes. I personally only have 1080p in my house. It is all I need. But I am aware of financial opportunities shooting 4k... and beyond.

It is so hard having a business discussion nowadays. Everyone gets so emotional, or political, or religious. It is just a camera. If it doesn't work for your use case that is fine. Why can't other people use it? I don't expect a wedding videographer to rush out and buy an 8k camera. But at the same time I don't expect a wedding videographer to dictate to me that I don't need one. Honestly for my planned use I want just as many of these cameras to sell in order to make it a viable long term product. I don't want everyone to buy one, because for my use case I don't want competition. I don't expect nor do I want everyone to buy one.

In business one man's ignorance is another man's profit.

Anyway I appreciate the OP posting. In all likelihood the dynamic range, price, or codec will be a disappointment with this camera. But who knows. We may get a surprise. Anyway it won't be a competitor to Blackmagic cameras. Either it will be perfect in all regards and have a sky high price or it will fall short somewhere. I'm just glad someone was thoughtful enough to give us the news.

2019 is set to be a big year for 8K cameras. While Sony's 8K plans have still yet to be revealed, we are certain they are imminent, and Sharp did showcase its own 8K prototype camera at CES 2019.

Now it's Canon who has released confirmation that it is indeed working on an 8K camera and that is currently "in its roadmap".

Speaking exclusively to Imaging Resource, Yoshiyuki Mizoguchi, Group Executive, ICB Products Group, Image Communication Business Operations at Canon, revealed that an 8K Canon EOS R was indeed on the cards and video was going to be the big order of the day.
    https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...tails-revealed

"in its roadmap"?! A bit vague. That could mean almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    I find it hard to believe videographers aren't aware of this technique. Do they really believe when a CMOS camera has 4k painted on the box that is all that is need to deliver 4k?
    Well, Red stressed this point from the start, when they had 4K and nobody thought of distribution in more than 2K yet.

And it's not only about oversampling, but also the fact that no Bayer sensor can resolve all the pixels in color. And then, let's not forget the Shannon/Nyquist limit.

IMHO, 6K makes a lot of sense. 8K not necessarily.