Thread: New interesting competition (8k under 5,000)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tclark513 View Post
    Hmmm... pretty impressive click bait i guess!
    https://www.43rumors.com/interview-w...8k-mft-camera/
    Some of you may remember Kraft Camera. It was an impressive bait.

Sharp has a better chance...Craft was unknown.

A Cooke won’t cut it, they are intentionally not super sharp for beautiful bokeh. Think Master Prime!

Tokina Vistas claim 8K support (one of the few who mention it in their marketing specs):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...35mm_t1_5.html

Tokina vistas support 8k on full frame vista vision sensors, would technically only resolve 4K on mft sensors. 6k Arri and 8k Red make sense on large format sensors destined for big budget IMAX release. Makes no sense on mft sensor highly compressed format consumer camera. My internet connection can't even support DVD quality on Netflix, I'd be blown away to stream HD, most isp's throttle bandwidth so badly that even if you have unlimited fibre you'd likely never truly see 4K. It's all marketing to sell new tv's, 3D didn't fly so they had to push 4K. HDR is going to make a more obvious improvement to viewing experience than higher resolution. But you have to buy a 4K tv to get that. I think you could get away with delivering hdr in hd and no one would notice.

I think the oversampling as mentioned on the last page is what most (or many) are looking forward to. And I'm not necessarily speaking about this camera either; just the advancement of technology in general. Even if all of the new cameras don't shoot 8K, it will be nice to get 8K sensors in them producing super-sampled 4K. (This is going to be a selling point as well as naturally almost any new spec/offering is.)

If marketing history repeats itself, then 8K TVs will be heavily pushed bringing down the price of 4K OLED to the level of current 4K LED prices, making OLED affordable. That's a good thing. That's what I would go for. It has better HDR for viewing. Right now, for me, I'm shooting 4K but still delivering in 1920x1080 format just because none of my clients want 4K distribution yet due to their general public viewership demand. IMO, that's likely to be the same all the way to 2021. All of my clients who has their client ads running for the 2020 race are wanting only 1080p REC-709 as a requirement for delivery of their campaign ads.

I got this feeling that 4k might be short lived being replaced by 8k. 4k content on super fast network was scarce when 4k was the gold standard. 8k content potentially has an easier ride as support for 4k has paved the way for 8k.
    In the short run 8k may drive down 4k sets but as manufacturers adjust to 8k nobody will be making 4k sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I got this feeling that 4k might be short lived being replaced by 8k. 4k content on super fast network was scarce when 4k was the gold standard. 8k content potentially has an easier ride as support for 4k has paved the way for 8k.
    In the short run 8k may drive down 4k sets but as manufacturers adjust to 8k nobody will be making 4k sets.
    There's still some time for that but I agree. The same conversation was on DVXuser and I posted a screenshot of TVs available at Best Buy.

In 1-2 years, it will be difficult to find a HD TV. In 2-3 years, it may be difficult to find a 4K TV. 8K TVs will cost 200 bucks and support 4K.

BB.jpg

In normal affordable panel sizes, 40-55 inches 8k will make no difference, unless you put on your desk and use as monitor. On those sizes I honestly can't tell the difference between hd and 4K except for the demo reels that are way too sharp to be aesthetically appealing. For 8k screens to have any useful differences they would need to be the giant wall room size screens than can scale and display multiple sources of content at the same time. The literal window to paradise. You put up your family photos and to do lists, video would rarely fill the whole screen. Maybe for movie night or a super bowl party, the rest of the time shows could be scales appropriate to the room size, kids could play games or watch something else in the corner via Bluetooth headphones.

I absolutely agree that best use of an 8k sensor is to superscan 4K, which should be done in camera unless recording raw. The first generation canon cinema series cameras were so good because they were properly scaling hd from a 4K sensor, but I would also argue that you don't need more than 2k for narrative, unless you're screening in IMAX.