Thread: Kholi's Comet LUT 2019 for P4K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wish there was a tutorial on how to properly(optimally) use these.
    If anybody is willing to share their work flow, I (and others I sm sure) would be thankful.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.P View Post
    I wish there was a tutorial on how to properly(optimally) use these.
    If anybody is willing to share their work flow, I (and others I sm sure) would be thankful.
    Cheers
    Same, specifically for the Pocket 4K. There is a specific set of looks for the P4K, but does the P4K need to use the BASE LUT from the other folder (it's not in the P4K folder).

And when the BASE LUT is used, does the grade happen between the BASE and the other LUT? I wonder if we can get more of an explanation of what BASE does.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    Same, specifically for the Pocket 4K. There is a specific set of looks for the P4K, but does the P4K need to use the BASE LUT from the other folder (it's not in the P4K folder).

And when the BASE LUT is used, does the grade happen between the BASE and the other LUT? I wonder if we can get more of an explanation of what BASE does.

There's a base out called LOOKS BASE, meant to be used on the first node, and look applied to the node following that. This allows more flexibility to correct before and after the look.

For Pocket 4K users, there's a set meant to be installed and monitored with on the Pocket 4k cinema Camera. You can also experiment with recording the looks straight to ProRes footage, a feature of the Pocket 4K cinema camera that I consider to be very powerful.
    https://www.thecampcomet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    I was initially confused about why the P4K-specific LOOKS didn't have a BASE LUT, but re-reading, perhaps these LUTs are specifically for monitoring (possibly combining some aspects of the BASE LUT into it, since you can only monitor with a single LUT at a time) and not for grading. Is this the correct understanding?

I'm still curious about using the BASE LUT and knowing what it's doing. Just a simple "why" to better understand what is happening.

For using LOOKS (note: not the P4K-specific monitoring LUTs:
    1.Apply BASE LUT to first node
    2.Apply LOOK LUT to last node
    3.Grade...before BASE node? Between the nodes? Kholi mentions this gives flexibility to correct before and after the look, but does this mean we're adding a third node BETWEEN the BASE and LOOK LUTs, or adding it BEFORE the BASE LUT?

BASE LUT ---------> [add node here] ---------> LOOK LUT

vs

[add node here] ---------> BASE LUT ---------> LOOK LUT

Or both? This is a little confusing:
    There's a base out called LOOKS BASE, meant to be used on the first node, and look applied to the node following that. This allows more flexibility to correct before and after the look.
    because I don't know if "the look" is considering the BASE node as a part of the overall look or if that's literally saying you should edit between the BASE and LOOKS LUTs.