Thread: Firmware Update BMP4k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Firmware Update BMP4k 
    I was wondering if there has been any word on the following modes being included in future firmware updates?

- 2k DCI full sensor readout (slightly above HD, to avoid rescaling when delivering for a 2k DCP)
    - A true 16mm mode
    - Anamorphic Desqueeze
    - a 2.8k, 3.2 or 3k full sensor readout (for slight overscan when delivering for 2k but avoiding the data rates produced when recording 4k).

I've looked here and on the other forum but so far found nothing. Is there anywhere official to request these features? After all these are all things that could be easily implemented.

Black magic are very hush hush, only a select few get to beta test most things until they are widely available but are under NDA so they cannot disclose anything. We only know something once it comes out.

We hope for the BRAW update soon enough and that may come with extras but more importantly I hope they fix the red channel clipping in colour science 4 while maintaining good skin tones.

An anamorphic mode seems to be interesting for a lot of people as it seems

For me it is mainly BRAW and some real 2.40:1 Modes like the ursa offers.
    Sure, regular 4K offers some possibilities to reframe verrically, but IŽd really like some cinemascope-modes.
    Besides those two, IŽd like to see some better playback-options.

But as always, there are barely any informations on a possible release.
    I was hoping for Christmas or New Year, but it seems like somewhere in 2019 more realistic

Well they would not get a lot of love if they released it right now as only 5% got their camera. They could better wait until shipments have fullfilled themselves somewhat. Or otherwise they might release a new shitstorm, releasing updates when nobody got their camera yet.

Eh id be pretty excited that i knew my camera would have Braw once it arrived instead of annoyed. BRAW is the only way id ever manage a 4k raw workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Eh id be pretty excited that i knew my camera would have Braw once it arrived instead of annoyed. BRAW is the only way id ever manage a 4k raw workflow.
    haha yeah I am getting one tomorrow! Release the update! BRAW is also what I will be using the future, I dont have anything lined up for the next couple of months, so I can wait on the update though.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Well they would not get a lot of love if they released it right now as only 5% got their camera. They could better wait until shipments have fullfilled themselves somewhat. Or otherwise they might release a new shitstorm, releasing updates when nobody got their camera yet.
    A firmware update is not going to slow camera distribution. Asking people with usable cameras to wait for BRAW until many more cameras are delivered seems like a request too far for me.

The first firmware release should focus on fixing bugs and general usability issues. The next one after that can add "nice to have" features.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

What I was wondering rather than official confirmation from BMD about these features, if these are perhaps already implemented on any other BMD camera? Making them more likely to come to the BMP4k eventually..

Some of these features are available on the Ursa Mini Pro, but that is a different camera sensor, different processor and hardware. Just because a feature exists on one camera, does not mean it can be included on a entirely different camera, like the Pocket 4K. BM has already stated it is working on getting the new BRaw on the new Pocket 4K, and will consider outer feature requests, but will not comment on if they will, or even can be made available. Like the original Pocket Camera, you will wake up one morning and find a notice here about new firmware and features now available on the Pocket 4K. When this will happen, is anyone’s guess.
    Cheers