Thread: Recording times available on UMP at various Blackmagic RAW settings?

1. #1 Recording times available on UMP at various Blackmagic RAW settings? 
    ​​If someone doesn't mind, could you let me know the actual recording time available on a freshly formated 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB Cfast card when shooting BRAW at the various flavors (specifically when shooting 4.6K at 24fps)? Just ordered an UMP and trying to figure out how much media I need. Specifically I'm trying to find recording times for 3:1, 5:1, Q0, and Q5 BRAW settings. I know the bitrates are posted on Blackmagic's site but I'm trying to find the exact recording times down to the minute when taking into account the actual usable capacity on a formated Cfast card.

Thanks and take care,

Mark
    Last edited by yophoto91; 12-29-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Hi Mark,

If you've got an iOS device there's an app called "Cameras + formats" that will helps. Had all sorts of calculation options.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yophoto91 View Post
    ​​If someone doesn't mind, could you let me know the actual recording time available on a freshly formated 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB Cfast card when shooting BRAW at the various flavors (specifically when shooting 4.6K at 24fps)? Just ordered an UMP and trying to figure out how much media I need. Specifically I'm trying to find recording times for 3:1, 5:1, Q0, and Q5 BRAW settings. I know the bitrates are posted on Blackmagic's site but I'm trying to find the exact recording times down to the minute when taking into account the actual usable capacity on a formated Cfast card.

Thanks and take care,

Mark
    There should be a table for compressed raw recording times in the manual (like there is for Cinema DNG)... probably not for the VBR version of BRAW though, because file size will depend on the material you're shooting.

Shawn

3:1 on a 128Gb says 14 minutes available. I think 5:1 is 28 minutes. But I've only focused on 3:1.

Q0 and Q5 are scene dependent, though. Q0 can be higher than 3:1 for extremely detailed scenes, and Q5 can be less than 12:1 for stable talking heads.

Just checked and 5:1 is 24 minutes not 28.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferypeterson View Post
    3:1 on a 128Gb says 14 minutes available. I think 5:1 is 28 minutes. But I've only focused on 3:1.