Thread: Really nice, cheap, Veydra alternative

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    I think it would show up everywhere: tree branches against the sky, edges of windows, around specular highlights.
    I'm gonna run out and test exactly this, as I'm curious myself.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    it's interesting to me to see how over the last decade we've raced to "needing" faster and faster lenses even as cameras' light gathering capabilities have exponentially increased. People are filling their bags with what not long ago would have been considered "specialty" lenses. Is it really practical or advisable to shoot moving pictures with a T0.95?
    I don't feel quite the same way. Building my photo/video kit for FF and 1.3x video, I've centered around f1.4 for primes and f2.8 for zooms. To me, these are good quality, albeit "normal" lenses. The Nokton 0.95 would fall between these two levels at around f1.8 equivalence.

On my part, I scratch my head when people talk about shooting at ISOs higher than 3200. I rarely reach for ISO1600 and would never go above 6400. At 6400, in my mind, you are trying rescue something exceptional that only happens once.... =)

If I can't keep the tip of an actress' nose and the back of her head in focus at the same time, shouldn't I stop down a bit?
    That sounds like a good idea. But having access to fast glass doesn't mean you shoot wide open all the time. It's often the fast glass that offers the best all around quality and offers the best flexibility (since you CAN open up). And when your focus distance is larger, opening up might be viable again.

Everything I say is naturally coloured by the fact that I'm based in FF, and I don't want several competing kits, but I am more interested in synergy and overlap.

But when a lens like this shows up: sturdy, cheap, purpose built... well, I got interested. But it would need to produce clean images. I'm more worried about the chromatic aberration than the T2.2.

I'm gonna run out and test exactly this, as I'm curious myself.
    Thanks!! Appreciate it!

It's like somebody put lipstick on surveillance camera lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    Thanks!! Appreciate it!
    I updated the original post with a window/tree branch shot.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

I'm not sure what you mean. The lens is what the lens is. A 25mm is a 25mm. The equivalency comes from what sensor you pair it with. On a standard M43 mount, both the Veydra and the Meike will yield a FOV equivalent of a 50mm lens on a full frame sensor. The Pocket 4K and the GH5S have an oversized sensor, so they crop a bit less than 2X.
    Save the didactic stuff, veydras are not full frame. So where do you get the 50mm equivalency from?

Quote Originally Posted by rze View Post
    Save the didactic stuff, veydras are not full frame. So where do you get the 50mm equivalency from?
    I just don't understand what you're talking about:
    If the 25mm has a 50mm field of view then it’s not a veydra knock off in the optics.
    Both the Meike and the Veydra are 25mm lenses. Why do you think their FOVs are different?
    Pocketluts Store

They are super 35 lenses, the crop is a 1.4 for m4/3. Veydra 25mm has a has the field of view of a 35mm

They are super 35 lenses, the crop is a 1.4 for m4/3. Veydra 25mm has a has the field of view of a 35mm
    Then by that definition, so does the Meike. Again, what would make you think the 25mm Meike is different than the Veydra?

Google reviews of any M43 native lens and I bet that you'll find at least 9 out of 10 will list the full-frame equivalency.

Hell, even Panasonic does so on their lens product page: https://www.panasonic.com/caribbean/...es/h-h025.html

So does Olympus: https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-25mm-f1-8.html

Well, shucks, looky here, so does SLR Magic: http://www.slrmagic.info/product/Hyp...NE+III+2595MFT
    Pocketluts Store

I think you are confusing image circle size/sensor coverage with 135 equivalency.

Focal length is focal length is focal length. This does not change from system to system. It's just the same focal length may be designed to project different sized image circle, depending on the sensor size it's purposed for. That's where "equivalency" becomes a useful.

"135 equivalency" or "crop factor" started being used when photographers using 35mm stills, or DSLR with the same sized sensor, moved into video/filmmaking - it helped to understand what FOV a given focal length would now offer on a different sized sensor COMPARED TO 135. Not compared to any other system. Not Super35. Not Super16. But 135 or Full Frame 35mm.

So when, for example, a 50mm for 135 will have an image circle of 46mm (approx). This means it cover any sensor size up to 36x24mm. But regardless of the sensor it's projecting onto, it's always a 50mm lens.

On a MFT sensor like the BMP4K, it will yield the FOV equivalency of a 100mm lens - or 2 x crop factor - because the sensor needs a 22.5mm image circle. That's roughly half of 135. But it's still a 50mm lens.

So ANY 50mm lens on a BMP4K (as long as the image circle is big enough to cover the sensor) will have a 135 equivalency of 100mm or 2 x crop factor.