Thread: BMPCC4k - Follow focus body flex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for pointing this out. I think all would agree that typically if using follow focus the camera would also be in a cage, but perhaps for gimbal work, you would want the rig as light as possible and mount camera naked with a follow focus motor rigged as part of the gimbal. Best practice is likely at least a half cage, same as original pocket.

Disappointing, but not terribly surprising. The P4K build quality is best described as "barely adequate." I don't see mine ever leaving its cage.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. I think all would agree that typically if using follow focus the camera would also be in a cage, but perhaps for gimbal work, you would want the rig as light as possible and mount camera naked with a follow focus motor rigged as part of the gimbal. Best practice is likely at least a half cage, same as original pocket.

Exactly. That was the second thing that went through my mind.

I just saw a video on Youtube where this fellow was mounting his P4k in a SmallRig cage onto something like a Ronin-S. I believe he said the camera with the cage and a few other small bits came to about 3 - 3.5 lbs, which s fine.

The body flex is not a dealbreaker by any means, just something to be aware of and budget for.

Aside from that the amount of camera you are getting for $1300 is ridiculous.

Are you sure it is body flex? It may flex due rubber pad between camera and rods plate. I saw similar flex it promo videos of Nucleus-N poorly mounted to DSLR. It is really crazy design flaw if it is really flex camera body.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Are you sure it is body flex? It may flex due rubber pad between camera and rods plate. I saw similar flex it promo videos of Nucleus-N poorly mounted to DSLR. It is really crazy design flaw if it is really flex camera body.
    Oo interesting point there!

I also saw that video looked strange

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Part of the problem is that the area around the bottom screw is very narrow and the body curves up quickly.
    I jammed a small paper wedge under body, just below the screen and it helps a lot, but without a cage there still is some wiggle.

It really just boils down to that the camera needs a cage if you're going to use a follow focus.

I don't think this is a problem.

How often would we be using a rails base to support a follow focus without also using the rest of the cage, and THE HANDLE?

I know it's possible of course.
    But it seems to me that most of us just aren't often going to do it.
    I don't think I have EVER used a set of rails on my BMCC, BMPCC, GH4, or 6D without using the rest of the cage. Mainly because it seemed obvious - I want all those wonderful mounting options that come with the cage, not the least of which is the handle.

Harry - thanks for sporting this issue.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

It's not a problem, but did come as a surprise.

I don't expect the Pocket 4k to be built like my Alexa, but I can use a follow focus on a 5D without a cage.

Just something to be aware of when putting a kit together.

Isn’t the base curved to secure airflow from the exhaust?