Thread: Current lens advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Current lens advice 
    Hi everybody,

I just got my P4K a week ago. I wanted advice on my half assed collection of lenses. What should I sell? What to keep?

Canon FDs: 35, 50, 135
    Vivitar FD Series 1 70-210mm
    Canon mount Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm 2.6-2.8
    Nikon mount Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm 2.6-2.8 - just got this Friday from Fuego
    Nikon F 50mm 1.4

First and foremost, I need to pick a mount because I want to minimize the need for multiple speed boosters / adapters. I got the FDs because of Kholi's endorsement years ago. I do like the look, but I can go in another direction. I picked up the Tokina because of Frank's beautiful shots with it. Selling the FDs will pay for a booster, so, I'm leaning that way.

I just shot a short in my house on my NX1. I could really only use the 35mm FD. So I know I need something wider,; especially with the P4K's smaller sensor.

Well, your main problem might be the focusing direction with manual lenses. It's either Nikon or the rest…

I doubt you can stay with only one mount if you want a nice collection of vintage lenses, but adapters are so cheap, why not put one on every lens? At least, that's what I did.

For anything substantially wider than 28mm your choices will get quite limited. There are still a few good ones in 24mm, but wider than that it narrows down to very few lenses.
    The best one is the very heavy and expensive Zeiss C/Y 21m f2.8, second best in my opinion is the Minolta SR 21mm and then the quite small Olympus 21mm f3.5.

Thanks, Nomad.

You’re right, adapters are cheap enough to have one on each lens. I guess I was thinking more about boosters.

I don’t have to stay vintage. I could part with the FDs and go a different direction. If the 35 wasn’t wide enough on my Super 35 NX1, then boosted on the P4K isn’t going to cut it. Might have to go modern.

I just feel like I have incomplete glass for various situations

Then what about the 12-35mm f2.8 Panasonic or the Olympus 12-100mm f4.0? They are good and light is not that much of an issue with ISO 1250.

Hi So your invested in FD as I am

I have this Focal Reducer
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NFD9MX0/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Plus a Canon FD Set= 15mm 2.8, 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 35-105 3.5, and some other vivitar stuff I don't use.

If you want to stick with the FD team and go wide that 15mm is nice. Kind of weird by today's standards it has a green filter and a yellow filter built in for B+W photography if you want. Its a Fisheye but w speedbooster above very little distortion on the edges kinda looks like anamorphic.

https://www.ebay.com/i/283291926736?chn=ps I got mine for $200 about 2 years ago.

Also you can't go wrong with that Lumix 12-35 2.8 I got lucky and scored one for $215 with a scratch on it... it's the new version as well Im very cheap and you don't see the scratch unless your @ 12mm and put the iris down to 15 stops or more. I never go below 5.6 so goody.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-L...rdt=true&rt=nc

Fun Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxx989 View Post
    Hi So your invested in FD as I am

I have this Focal Reducer
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NFD9MX0/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Plus a Canon FD Set= 15mm 2.8, 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 35-105 3.5, and some other vivitar stuff I don't use.
    Is this Pixco focual reducer any good with FD lens especially faster FD wide open at f1.4? How does it comapre with Metabones SB?

When I tried a few, I found only the Lens Turbo II acceptable next to the Metabones.

if you cant tell im a cheap Ba$terd. The Pico works quite well for me... but if you aim it directly into the sun with some lenses you will get a Semi Large blue lens flare. I believe it's some kind of inception-esque lens reflecting off the Speedbooster off the lens again loop. I call it "character"

Give it a shot only $80 and you know amazon has a rock solid return policy if its not to your liking. Never tried the Metabones

I appreciate all the advice. I'm not married to the FDs. In fact I might be a little done with primes. I might get rid of them and only keep one of the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 (still need to decide on which mount)

I wish that Pana / Leica 10-25 1.7 would hurry up and be released.

Personally, I'd stick with the FDs.

That's what I did, and got the EF conversion kits from Edmika - https://edmika.com/

All my vintage lenses are converted to EF (Leica-R, Contax C/Y, Canon FD). The FD are stellar lenses and will last your career if you look after them. And compared to Leica-R and Contax, they are way more affordable to build up a set.

You could get a FDn 20mm f/2.8 used with a focal reducer (BMCC 0.64x) which could nicely round out the wide end. You have to be careful using the FD on cheap focal reducers as the rear element of the lenses can hit the front focal reducer element. The Metabones 0.64x works beautifully.