Thread: dji ronin s Focus Motor vs nucleus-n

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Some interesting tech specs compare:

The torque of the Nucleus-Nano Motor at 5.5V is 0.65 Nm and at 14.8V is 1Nm

The torque of the Nucleus-M Motor at 14.8V is 2.5Nm

DJI FOCUS (this one https://www.dji.com/focus/info#specs) Max. Torque 0.35 Nm

Ronin-S Focus Motor Max. Torque: 0.5 Nm
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

I got the DJI focus motor for the Ronin S. It's pretty nice. I'm using it with Veydras and one thing I wish for is that there was a parameter to adjust the sensitivity for the focus wheel. It moves to easily and these are fairly tight lenses.

I called them and they tell me that they're working on it. I have not been to keen on DJI's listening skills but based on the amount of time and energy they put into communicating with me this time I get the feeling that something good might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Andree,
    How long can you hold all of that weight?
    I've done two full day event shoots using the Ronin-S.

I have the say the weight is not an issue. The fact that it's so portable and quick to use means the extra bit of exhertion to use it is most welcome. I don't shoot continuously with it for hours, but instead shoot 50/50 hand held and with gimbal and Olympus 12-100/4. The camera is attached with a quick release so it's easy to transition between the two setups. It mixes up the shoots (some hand held/some gimbal - looks like a 2 camera shoot) and gives me a little break so it's not gimbal 100% of the time. As a bonus I feel it's increasing my upper body strength.

You can also use it in lazy mode, where I rest the folded up feet into my belt buckle to get panning or tilting shots.
    Last edited by trispembo; 12-16-2018 at 09:32 PM.

15 Minute video of Ronin S Focus motor + Sigma 18-35mm + Pocket 4K if you have time.

Its Heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Well I just did that
    Me too

Was it after dark? ;-)

Seriously, it's not usable in direct sunlight, and barely usable in shade on a sunny day.
    I use it in daylight. The screen is the same screen that's used on the Ursa 4.6K and the 5" Video Assist.

It's not ideal, but I use it, I operate and pick focus with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    I don't have any follow focus before because can't find perfect solution, so i am looking to get Nucleus-Nano when it will be available. It seems like very reasonable priced and really multi functional device. Perfectly match to BMMCC, tiny rod can be mounted directly to Smallrig cage, rec/stop LANC button and so on...
    Exactly what I want, to use with a P4K or micro, off a gimbal (or maybe on)

We're almost there...

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Can anyone please share some feedback how usable that wooden rotary handle in real life?
    I have the Nucleus M and the handle for that is wooden. I've been surprised how good this unit is. It works in very challenging situations. I have a three camera show, all my firsts are Preston or Arri WCU 4 owners and they ALL are impressed with how well it works. They've all ordered their own sets of the Tilta M. Remains to be seen if the N is as good of course...

I also just got the DJI focus so I'm hoping I can figure out a way to mount this and power it easily off-board of a gimbal for a hand held rig...stay tuned...

JB

I use it in daylight. The screen is the same screen that's used on the Ursa 4.6K and the 5" Video Assist.

It's not ideal, but I use it, I operate and pick focus with it.
    Are you saying you can see it in direct sunlight? I'm not trying to be picky, or exaggerate, but I literally cannot. If I duck into some shade, it's kinda/sorta usable at 100% brightness, but not at all in direct sunlight. Scores of other people have said the same, so I don't think it's my camera or my eyes. Care to share some tips?
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Focus Motor is nice and works well! Not having it be detachble is a big issue.

My Nucleus N should be shipping this week! I'll update with some impressions
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Are you saying you can see it in direct sunlight? I'm not trying to be picky, or exaggerate, but I literally cannot. If I duck into some shade, it's kinda/sorta usable at 100% brightness, but not at all in direct sunlight. Scores of other people have said the same, so I don't think it's my camera or my eyes. Care to share some tips?

I had no problem to use my original BMCCs, or my original Pocket (and that was not a stellar screen) outdoors ether, even with sunlight.
    Also my TV-Logic monitor isn't brighter, and I use it for years now without problems.
    The P4K has the best screen of all BM cameras, it's a huge step up - works like a charm for me.

And yes, direct sunlight hitting ANY screen can be a bit difficult, but I seldom shoot anything with the sun in my back - and even if I have to, it's easy to cover it with my body.

If you are in a situation where you actually can't see shit for some reason, use a hood, cloth, tape some cardbord over it, have someone holding a flag, or use a EVF if you have to - the usual stuff folks do since donkey's years at a set.

What's your brightness setting?
    Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 12-19-2018 at 03:09 AM.

What's your brightness setting?
    It's usually at 50% indoors and 100% outdoors.

Parsing your response, we likely have the same experience. The screen performs as expected, similar to any other "normal" (sub 1,000 nits) brightness screen. Steps must be taken to stop direct sunlight from washing out the screen. (I just wanted to make sure people weren't experiencing significantly different performance than I am.)
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store