Thread: Blackmagic Pocket 4K, best Iso's for Dynamic Range and Noise

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    T"official" communications (manuals, etc.) could do a much better job clarifying
    You can say that again.... If nothing else, greater clarity might reduce the intensity of the disagreements in places like this.

OTOH, with all due respect for what BMD is doing, sometimes the information released is more menace than help. A few years somebody announced that ISO 1600 on one of the Ursa models maximized highlight capture (compared to native), but with no qualification or quantification. The one thing which was never produced was an actual example, so everyone could assess the claim, based on the same controlled experiment. Or get any idea whether it was worth the trouble, and the noise. So the argument raged on. It may still be going on, for all I know. Add this one to "motion cadence" and "raw gives you 1-1/2 extra stops, I saw it on youtube".

The P4K is going to introduce a whole lot of new users to RAW, and there's a whole lot of FUD and "magical" thinking surrounding RAW workflows. I certainly appreciate CaptainHook being willing to dive in here and provide some definitive answers.

Now I have to go add "native" to my anti-dictionary of meaningless terms like "cinematic" and "cadence". :P
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

I wouldn't say it's meaningless, for many situations it is very likely the best option. And for many users it's very useful to have that recommendation from us. For more advanced users (who are in the minority) they would rather have control over the curve so for them I say it's a "start there" option, especially when getting to know a camera and how it responds. In terms of if its the best word to use to describe it, I will leave to others to discuss.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    In terms of if its the best word to use to describe it, I will leave to others to discuss.
    No, please, no more of these discussions

I wouldn't say it's meaningless, for many situations it is very likely the best option. And for many users it's very useful to have that recommendation from us. For more advanced users (who are in the minority) they would rather have control over the curve so for them I say it's a "start there" option, especially when getting to know a camera and how it responds.
    The recommendation isn't meaningless - it's helpful, indeed. Calling it "native" is meaningless. "Recommended" would be a much better term. As it stands, many people believe that there is something technically special about these two spots on the dial.

In terms of if its the best word to use to describe it, I will leave to others to discuss.
    I tried to find any definition of "native" even remotely related to what happens with ISO in cameras, and the best I could come up with is...

Native adjective
    a : constituting the original substance or source
    the way I must return to native dust— John Milton
    b : found in nature especially in an unadulterated form
    mining native silver

Hardly a good term for describing the "best compromise."
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Or instead of compromise what about optimum ?

Compromise infers it’s...well...compromised in some way.

That’s not true either. But optimised.... The optimum balance for maximising DR according to the people that make the camera.

No one is holding a gun to your head that says you have to agree with their view either.

Native make sense to me because it does actually mean something. Some sensors have ADC / gain and some don’t. Native is one of those words that most people UNDERSTAND the meaning.

Like RAW. Why is it capitalised ? Why isn’t it Raw or even just raw ?

Or full frame. Because there’s sensors that are more full than full frame and some that are less full. It’s also meaningless in the strictest sense but we all understand what’s infered by it. (Even though I still call it 135, most people have no idea that’s its real name)

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    ...The optimum balance for maximising DR according to the people that make the camera.
    That was always my understanding, as well, but CaptainHook specifically corrected me. The "native" ISO does not necessarily maximize dynamic range.
    Pocketluts Store

Hi,
    this is from the bmpcc 4k's manual (wich is from September, not yet actualized)
    Screen_Shot_2018_10_11_at_09_56_14.jpg

So, then, which are the correct values??

Quote Originally Posted by Carrere View Post
    Hi,
    this is from the bmpcc 4k's manual (wich is from September, not yet actualized)
    Screen_Shot_2018_10_11_at_09_56_14.jpg

So, then, which are the correct values??

+1