Thread: Dearly missing the range of my s16 zooms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Far from a cine lens, but for range it's hard to beat my Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 and even it lacks compared to broadcast lenses. As you move up in sensor size there's more compromise unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    Yes, definitely. The 20-35 is an L lens and the price reflects that. The 35-105 is great though, very hard to beat for the money.

Here's a clip filmed with the 35-105 on the samsung nx1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq6njjj43n..._1282.MP4?dl=0
    Thanks for this.

Need someone to make a reverse speedbooster to expand a 16mm zoom to cover MFT. A full super16 zoom should only lose a stop, which wouldn't be bad really. Probably only needs 1.5 or so, not a full 2x doubler

It would become less wide, though. Actually, the tele-extenders you can find on many broadcast lenses are just what you are asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It would become less wide, though. Actually, the tele-extenders you can find on many broadcast lenses are just what you are asking for.
    But how to adept them to say... the Zeiss 12-120/11-110 in PL mount?

A custom MFT to PL with a super16 to MFT extender would not make a lens less wide than on the original format, it would preserve the lenses angle of view, but with some light loss. There is likely not a big enough market for something like that to made reasonably affordable. The closest thing to an off the shelf solution might be the Olympus 1.4x adapter that could go between the camera and MFT to pl adapter. I don't know if it would work, but I think the math is close, 2x would by way too much and crop into the wide end of the lens.

Tokina makes a 1.6X PL tele, I think 1.4x is a stop so the 1.6x will be a stop and change. The Zeiss would end up in the T3.2 range which isn't bad. Most of the Canon zooms are going to leave you at a soft T4 which makes a compelling case for the Olympus 12-100mm.

The fact that the P4K sensor is larger than 4/3 makes S16 glass even more questionable. Cover the sensor and lose IQ and stop, or shoot crop? Either way it's a big hit to the overall image.

The original GH5 is actually much friendlier for S16 as you can shoot DCI 4k in ETC mode with S16 glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Tokina makes a 1.6X PL tele, I think 1.4x is a stop so the 1.6x will be a stop and change. The Zeiss would end up in the T3.2 range which isn't bad. Most of the Canon zooms are going to leave you at a soft T4 which makes a compelling case for the Olympus 12-100mm.

The fact that the P4K sensor is larger than 4/3 makes S16 glass even more questionable. Cover the sensor and lose IQ and stop, or shoot crop? Either way it's a big hit to the overall image.

The original GH5 is actually much friendlier for S16 as you can shoot DCI 4k in ETC mode with S16 glass.
    Just checked it out, would be a great solution if one was willing to pay that price!