Thread: Gimbal for the Pocket 4K

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    Moza Air 2 and iFocus seem to be the better choice - IF they work as advertised. But last time I checked I couldn't find any user report yet. Of course I'd love for you to volunteer and be our guinea pig
    Lol I feel the same, but I have a trip to India in Feb, so decisions have to be made...

Quote Originally Posted by tmronin View Post
    well, love my Ronin-S/Pocket 4K/Nucleus-N combo.
    How reliable is the Ronin - did you have any problems with it?
    Aleksandar Bogdanov

Quote Originally Posted by Feon;260043 I have narrowed it to the [B
    Moza Air 2[/B] and Ronin-S.
    I know there are plenty of folks on youtube praising the Moza, but I can't quite figure to what extent all these reviews are sponsored...
    Had to return my Moza Air 1 after two days with shot motors. The tech guy at the distributor said they see a lot of returns.
    Don't know if they upped their game with the Air 2. Before buying Air 1 I saw a lot of positive reviews on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Feon View Post
    Lol I feel the same, but I have a trip to India in Feb, so decisions have to be made...

How reliable is the Ronin - did you have any problems with it?
    none so far, balances like a dream once you get the proper shift with the P4k. the app is great and the battery life is quite good. there is a learning curve (like all things) and certain positions will put the motors in a weird range and it will twitch - like half-way between upright and flashlight mode and trying to get it to pan right (Motor side) will give it a good case of the jitters - but that is just bad technique.

with the ronin-s, you have the DJI support network, great accessories from both DJI and 3rd parties (small rig on point as usual) and a large user base who is active on YouTube and the forums.

none so far, balances like a dream once you get the proper shift with the P4k. the app is great and the battery life is quite good. there is a learning curve (like all things) and certain positions will put the motors in a weird range and it will twitch - like half-way between upright and flashlight mode and trying to get it to pan right (Motor side) will give it a good case of the jitters - but that is just bad technique.

with the ronin-s, you have the DJI support network, great accessories from both DJI and 3rd parties (small rig on point as usual) and a large user base who is active on YouTube and the forums.
    Thanks for the input.
    After much hesitation I ordered the RoninS and the nucleus n.
    Let’s see how it goes
    Aleksandar Bogdanov

Thanks for the input.
    After much hesitation I ordered the RoninS and the nucleus n.
    Let’s see how it goes
    and they have a great return service (bought and returned the DJI focus motor with no muss or fuss last week)

my only suggestion/hack with this rig would be to pick up the DJI Focus motor bracket set for $20 - the Tilta Nucleus N bracket ONLY mounts on camera left side (which does you NO favors when trying to balance). The DJI bracket will mount on the front of the tilta cage (or on the supplied DJI riser) in either direction and will let you run the focus motor on the camera right side from below. The other way is to use the Tilta mount upside down on the top of the cage (which is just a mess - blocks just about everything)

and they have a great return service (bought and returned the DJI focus motor with no muss or fuss last week)

my only suggestion/hack with this rig would be to pick up the DJI Focus motor bracket set for $20 - the Tilta Nucleus N bracket ONLY mounts on camera left side (which does you NO favors when trying to balance). The DJI bracket will mount on the front of the tilta cage (or on the supplied DJI riser) in either direction and will let you run the focus motor on the camera right side from below. The other way is to use the Tilta mount upside down on the top of the cage (which is just a mess - blocks just about everything)

Thank for the advice! Do you mean "Ronin-S Focus Motor Rod Mount"?
    Aleksandar Bogdanov

Chiming in on the Ronin S. Agree with tmronin on the stabilizer. The camera balances fine though in my case had to attach several counterweights to the right hand side of the cage. A clamp which secures the weights to the Ronin's arm is on it's way from SmallRig as I'm writing. Hopefully that will be a better solution. Like tmronin I put the motor on right side of the camera (looking from the back) which helped with the balance.

I've got to say that when it comes to stabilizers it's all about center of effort. Having to use counterweights at all is contrary to that thinking. They work but it would be better to have the center of effort located… well more centrally. That said my setup is not happy doing 360° barrel rolls.

I'm using the DJI focus motor for now, and I like it a lot, though I wish I could adjust it's sensitivity… to dial it down a bit. I ordered the Tilta in November. It's been back ordered a few months and I'm slowly moving up the list to receive one. If you're on a deadline as I was, that may be an issue for you. I shoot multiple cameras often so having both will work well.

Getting ready to order an additional battery along with the cable to power the camera. I'm told to expect just under 2 hours with the gimbal, focus motor, and camera being powered by the DJI battery. That works well for how I shoot. Also thinking about a double grip. So far I've just got the wooden one from SmallRig. I've tried that on both sides now but can't say I have it really dialed in.

Still playing around with a case. Currently using a Pelican 1510 with the camera/cage/lens included. Still need a second case for lenses and a monitor and all the misc stuff you need.

Most importantly is that my footage has gotten better with this setup. It has an organic quality which I really like.

I've been using the Tilta G2X with their wireless follow focus. Works like a charm.

https://imgur.com/a/D9k3qLl

Thank for the advice! Do you mean "Ronin-S Focus Motor Rod Mount"?
    yep.

Marshall, sounds like you and I are/were on the same gear path. I have (and quite like), the small rig wooden handle on my rig and have the counterweight clamp incoming.

I'll try to post a pics of mine later once I get thru my current project.

yep.

Marshall, sounds like you and I are/were on the same gear path. I have (and quite like), the small rig wooden handle on my rig and have the counterweight clamp incoming.

I'll try to post a pics of mine later once I get thru my current project.
    tmronin, I'll do the same next week. Been thinking about moving the handle to the right. I still have the DJI focus wheel on the left which leaves me with two left hands. One for the hadle and one for the wheel. Wait didn't someone make a movie about that. Oh… feet. But I do keep my analog follow focus set up on the left most of the time and have gotten used to that. Also think my right hand may be stronger on the grip. Will try that out soon.

A double handle might need a thumb-wheel. I keep thinking that DJI is just starting with accessories but have nothing to really base that on. Just that there are so many possibilities. Also SmallRig IMHO has done a pretty darn good job. Really all the rig manufacturers are doing good work at this point. Exciting times.