Thread: Hoodman Loupe Option P4K

1. #1 Hoodman Loupe Option P4K 
    I'm sure in time there will be a ton of Loupe options for the P4K but I am not patient. I thought I would share my experience. I had an older Hoodman 3.0 sitting around from my 5D MII days.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H30MB...=hoodman+loupe

I took some measurements and realized that the small rig collar/ring designed for the zyihun gimbal will fit the hoodman 3.0 just behind the eyepiece.

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Moun...=smallrig+ring

I added the Hoodman adapter to make the Hoodman 3.0 compatible with 4 inch monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoodriser-H-L...=hoodman+loupe

I used a quick release rod connection to the gimbal ring so that the hood/loupe can be easily rotated to the screen and then away to prevent burning the screen if I'm not looking into the loupe. I particularly like the optics in the Hoodman 3.0 as I find there is a pretty good range of focus, particularly for an older guy who needs readers for any close work. I am able to use this system without glasses and it really gives me a sharp magnified view of the screen. I find that I am only missing the outer edges, not a problem. Granted, the hood portion is not completely occlusive at the screen but I used this system at the beach today with the sun in various positions and had no trouble at all. I like the easy of being able to rotate the hood. If the system were pressed directly to the screen, this could not happen. The power cables I ordered from B&H should be here this week. I look forward to adding a v-mount battery to this rig so I am not continuously swapping batteries! I've also ordered a Small Rig half cage and will enjoy having a handle on the cage and being able to use the external SSD for recording. SIDE NOTE: The tape that can be partially seen on the camera is holding electronics filter material over the fan intakes. I'd like to believe that the air is just blowing over cooling fins in a space that is isolated from any of the electronics or other susceptible components in the camera but no one has been able to assure me of this so exercising an abundance of caution.

20181125_114058.jpg20181125_132458.jpg20181125_133528.jpg20181125_133546.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dmetz; 11-26-2018 at 08:47 AM.

I'm currently building a second 3D model for my Hoodman Loupe 3.0.

The first allowed it to be attached to a Ninja 2, turning it into an EVF.

My next project is building a rig to mount on the Pocket 4k. It'll be magnetic connect/disconnect.

Here's a rough prototype to check the proof of concept. It worked great - full optical coverage of the screen and only very slightly soft in the corners. Certainly good enough for nearly any type of environment. This one has a hinge so the loupe can swing up.

BMP4K Loupe + RedRockRig 2 sm.jpg

Here's some early 3D models.

The first attaches to the body, and will allow access to top and bottom 1/4 screw holes. It will have two rows of magnets to allow the loupe part to attach.

BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - body.jpg

The Hoodman Loupe attaches to this part. As the loupe is rubber, it comfortably squeezes into the smaller rectangular hole. it will also have two rows of magnets.

BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - loupe v1.jpg
    BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - loupe v2.jpg
    Last edited by trispembo; 11-26-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post

My next project is building a rig to mount on the Pocket 4k. It'll be magnetic connect/disconnect.

Here's a rough prototype to check the proof of concept. It worked great - full optical coverage of the screen and only very slightly soft in the corners. Certainly good enough for nearly any type of environment. This one has a hinge so the loupe can swing up.

BMP4K Loupe + RedRockRig 2 sm.jpg

Here's some early 3D models.

The first attaches to the body, and will allow access to top and bottom 1/4 screw holes. It will have two rows of magnets to allow the loupe part to attach.

BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - body.jpg

The Hoodman Loupe attaches to this part. As the loupe is rubber, it comfortably squeezes into the smaller rectangular hole. it will also have two rows of magnets.

BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - loupe v1.jpg
    BMP4K Hoodman Loupe v5 - loupe v2.jpg
    Very nice. Please keep us updated with your progress and final results. We've seen lots of cages so far. Hopefully someone will jump on the bandwagon here with a nice production model.

[QUOTE=trispembo;257948]I'm currently building a second 3D model for my Hoodman Loupe 3.0.

My next project is building a rig to mount on the Pocket 4k. It'll be magnetic connect/disconnect."

Does it mean that I'll be able attach my old Zacuto BMPCC to your "base"? It would be great! Then I won't need to sell it

Quote Originally Posted by rshelton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post

Does it mean that I'll be able attach my old Zacuto BMPCC to your "base"? It would be great! Then I won't need to sell it
    Unless it's the same dimensions to the Hoodman 3.0 loupe, then it's unlikely.

Once the project is complete, I'm happy to share the 3D drawings with you to modify as needed.