Thread: Pocket 4K and Ronin S

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket 4K and Ronin S 
    I use this combo and quite like it so far. Balances like a dream (once you use the riser block to get it over to clear the motor) and flies really nicely. (well, I think the pocket 4k is a bit large and wide to do the fancy 360* spins gracefully but I still need to mess with some of the settings).

So I know some people here are also running this combo, let's talk cables.

- is there a run/stop cable for the Pocket 4k yet? that would make this so much better to be able to just hit the REC button on the ronin instead of having to reach over and hit the one of the camera.
    - has anyone ran the 12v > 7.4v DJI cable to a canon dummy to power the camera from the grip? that looks like a neat solution (well, except for the sheer amount of cables you will have to dress unless you cut them down for custom lengths)
    - bonus question - I have the titla Nucleus Nano focus system on pre-order and they provide hardware for both the Ronin-S and Crane 2. but for the life of me, when I look at how they have it rigged on the product page on the Ronin-S, the motor power cable kinda disappears behind the camera and doesn't actually show where it plugs in. as far as I can tell, there isn't a mini-usb power port, just 2 of those proprietary DJI 12v ports in the front and the RSS/camera control port on the side of the sled.

I would ask these questions on the DJI forum, but man, the posters over there kinda scare me - reminds me a bit too much of youtube comment sections - a lot of people are very mad at DJI and take things like camera support and backordered items very personally. <shudder>

The signal to noise ratio of this forum is really good and questions tend to get answered. Thanks y'all!

I don't own the Ronin-S, but these questions are exactly what I want to know in order to make a purchase decision. (I've got the Nucleus N on pre-order, as well.)

Powering the P4K seems almost critical given how short the life of an internal battery.

I know that they're making an adaptor cable from the ronin pins to a usb-c

some answers here

oh! yes! that clip did answer questions I had. Thanks Ryanite! good catch!

heh, I'm working in LA next week 28th-8th. may have to stop by the store and poke around.

(and the fact that they use the "Honest Trailers" VO talent for their intro/outros is awesome!)

lol. spotted my self in the BG.

Got a chance to play w the Nano and it is very nice. Was told the motor can be powered by the Ronin-S.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    lol. spotted my self in the BG.

Got a chance to play w the Nano and it is very nice. Was told the motor can be powered by the Ronin-S.
    I hope so - they include a bracket just for the Ronin-S in the nano kit. LOL! I've been looking for a remote focus system that doesn't cost as much or more than the camera I was using for a while now, didn't even hesitate when I saw the Nano was available for pre-order.

Totally agree - BMP4K and Ronin-S is a great combination.

I've got a 4-pin connector on order that should fit the Ronin-S 12v connector. Once it arrives I'll make up a custom cable (the SF610/S2 end is already terminated).

The camera is mounted on a SmallRig mini cheese-plate. This provides more options that the little rise plate DJI provides. Plus I also use a Giotto MH657 quick release plate to move it quickly between Ronin-S and a hand held rig, and/or mono pod.

would be amazing if they made the ronin S modular to swap the grip over for dual handles. Had a quick play with a mates one with a P4k and was quite impressed. Not a fan of the pistol grip ergonomics though. That nano is definitely a winner.

Have noticed a few shooters setting up their ronin 2 with P4k in reverse too im guessing as a quick solution to swapping motor sides.
    Last edited by iammuc; 11-20-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    would be amazing if they made the ronin S modular to swap the grip over for dual handles. Had a quick play with a mates one with a P4k and was quite impressed. Not a fan of the pistol grip ergonomics though. That nano is definitely a winner.
    D958E53D-A130-4C0C-B3AD-7779B92C54A2.jpg

Smalrig to the rescue - caught the bottom handle on pre-sale for $39 and their little NATO plate is perfect for that side cover and a NATO side handle from my parts box. They just did a set of dual grips in pre-order for the ronin s.

Somewhat related:

I currently do not own a gimbal and am looking to get one to use with my BMPCC4k and likely the sigma 18-35 (only lens I own at the moment). If you don't already own a Ronin-S, is there an advantage to going with a Ronin-S + Nucleus Nano set up ($749 + $229 = $978) over a MOZA Air 2 that comes with a wireless mechanical follow focus system ($599)?

Just wanted to see if there is something i'm not considering. I do plan on getting the tilta cage when it comes out and I know they make accessories to control the nucleus nano, but I don't anticipate using that over manually focusing by hand anyway. Thinking that i'd only use the wireless follow focus on the gimbal.

Thoughts?