Thread: Will the Ursa ever return?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Will the Ursa ever return? 
    It seems odd that we have the “Mini” branded versions of a camera which seemingly doesn’t exist anymore. So will we ever see the Ursa make a glorious return?

Is there any chance that we’ll see a redesigned Ursa sporting a new sensor? Maybe an Ursa 6K or perhaps 8K? Fairchild’s new 4K M4/3 sensor promises the existence of a 6K S35 sensor.

The UMPG2 pretty much guarantees that we won’t see a major upgrade to the Mini brand for years to come. Perhaps maybe an Ursa 6K is around the corner?

Would anyone even be excited to see the big guy make a comeback?

I loved the camera but it was just too heavy for normal use. Great to leave it on a tripod in a studio 24/7 though.

The 10" monitor was amazing and if the camera kept the same body but weighed 4-5 lbs using the lightest materials possible, I'd buy one again.

Probably possible today; just would have to remove the refrigeration cooling that was necessary in 2014.

I never saw the ursa in person. Is it bigger than an Amira?

Barely if you consider what needs to stick or hang out for certain functionality.

Once you're at a particular weight & bulkiness it doesn't matter much for any system as the accessories (lenses, batteries, rods/plates, cables, FF, mics, other box/item placements) make them all ergonomically challenging for certain work (fast running-and-gunning, small gimbals and sliders, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I loved the camera but it was just too heavy for normal use. Great to leave it on a tripod in a studio 24/7 though.

The 10" monitor was amazing and if the camera kept the same body but weighed 4-5 lbs using the lightest materials possible, I'd buy one again.

Probably possible today; just would have to remove the refrigeration cooling that was necessary in 2014.
    If you u increase the capture resolution and frame rate substantially, you'll still need plenty of cooling in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    If you u increase the capture resolution and frame rate substantially, you'll still need plenty of cooling in there.
    The lighter the better!

But if it's the size of two tennis balls then that's all good with me too.

RED.jpg

The original Ursa weighed 16lbs. It was roughly the same weight as the Alexa, so I never considered it a negative. I always loved the look on a client’s face whenever I broke it out.

But I think BM could realistically cut the weight in half now, or bring it down to around 10lbs.

I still use the big URSA 4K, in fact will be shooting with it on sticks next weekend. As long as I don't have to put it on my shoulder, I'm still loving it. I agree it brings such amazement from clients and bystanders looking at that beast of professional glorious look. I was on a set with that URSA and a couple others with the mini and the AD keep on wanting the shot to be done on the big URSA... I think she was more confident that it looked more professional than the other cams.

If they can make a durable and lighter body of that size, maybe of carbon fiber, the screen size and available ports are really suitable for production work. Maybe they can call it the "URSA Production" camera. But before they do that, what about resurrecting the turret? Now, if only they just make an 8K turret and go back to that promise since everything else is already on the old and trusty big URSA. Maybe a conversion kit so that it can run newer the latest firmware and BRAW.
    Last edited by EYu; 03-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Seriously...you got your wish.

Discontinued for a year or so, and tonight just casually back in stock at B&H. And for $4K!

WTH! lol

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_cinema.html

URSA.jpg

I think a new version of the big URSA could be an atracktive option for those, who are looking for this kind of big camera, maybe those who do mainly studio work or use the camera primarily on a tripod.
    Use the body size to give the user more in/out-Options, Display(s), and use the bigger body to integrate a more capable cooling option to make higher framerate/resolutions etc. possible.

I could see something in the full frame 8k, big screen and already installed mounting optioins as well as rod adapters to be a logical evolution of the 4K URSA.
    Sure, the UMP G2 is their flagship now, but if they want to step forward into lets say the 9-10k$ territory, this could be the way to go.