Thread: Pocket 4k Power Solutions

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    What about Power Junkie from Blind Spot? I will be testing it next week. So far I am using Vmount or internal battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Though a BM rep said it's best practise to not use an internal battery if your powering from an external DC source as powering the camera and charging a battery is something like 30W of power draw. So i'd be taking any internal battery out if running from a V-mount. Plus I know the prores files close every 5 seconds and can only assume it's the same for Braw so while not great to have a camera lose power mid shot it'd only chop off potentially the last 5 seconds.
    Your more informed than I. I've learnt something new there. I have lost/corrupted prores files before on original firmware from dead LPE6's. Recently lost power again on new firmware and was surprised file was still able to be opened so your statement seems proven.

I forked out the $$ for the Core SWX, it works and mounts well. quite expensive for vmount though as you said.

Though a BM rep said it's best practise to not use an internal battery if your powering from an external DC source as powering the camera and charging a battery is something like 30W of power draw. So i'd be taking any internal battery out if running from a V-mount. Plus I know the prores files close every 5 seconds and can only assume it's the same for Braw so while not great to have a camera lose power mid shot it'd only chop off potentially the last 5 seconds.
    Where is this bm rep quote?

From the manual: Power Input
    You can use the DC jack to power your camera and trickle charge the battery at the same time. To connect the power adapter, rotate the plug so it aligns with the recess at the top of the jack, then push in the plug until it locks. To disconnect the power plug, retract the locking sheath, then pull out the plug.

Custom Power Solutions
    Some customers have been creating custom made power devices as a means to power their Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. If you are creating your own power solution with a dummy battery, caution needs to be taken to ensure that you are not supplying too much voltage to your camera, as this can cause permanent damage. The voltage requirements of the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K are as follows:
    The battery input connection is rated from 6.2V to 10V max.
    The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max.
    The camera requires 16W when in standby and is not charging the battery.
    The camera requires 30W when charging the LP-E6 type battery.
    When powering your camera with a custom made power source, we recommend removing the LP-E6 type battery.
    The camera requires 22W when recording to external media with an active lens, full screen brightness, full tally brightness, high frame rates and is not charging the battery.
    Last edited by mico; 03-10-2019 at 10:15 AM.

4. #64 TalentCell 
    I recently purchased a TalentCell 132WH battery. It's $65 is smaller than a vmount and can output up to 12v @ 6a. It powers the camera and 5" monitor without an issue. It appears that is generally used for cpap machines. It has a 12v and 9v Barrell connectors with a 5v USB connection for power options. They also have a $50 option which is the same housing and less capacity. I think it fits pretty well onto a rig without looking like a USB powerbank. My only concern is that I read two reviews state that the connection melted while charging. So I just make sure I take the battery off of the rig while charging. But it has 4 out of 5 stars so I feel that is the exception and not the rule for these packs.

IMG_20190310_093326.jpg

IMG_20190310_093333.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    Where is this bm rep quote?

From the manual: Power Input
    You can use the DC jack to power your camera and trickle charge the battery at the same time. To connect the power adapter, rotate the plug so it aligns with the recess at the top of the jack, then push in the plug until it locks. To disconnect the power plug, retract the locking sheath, then pull out the plug.

Custom Power Solutions
    Some customers have been creating custom made power devices as a means to power their Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. If you are creating your own power solution with a dummy battery, caution needs to be taken to ensure that you are not supplying too much voltage to your camera, as this can cause permanent damage. The voltage requirements of the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K are as follows:
    The battery input connection is rated from 6.2V to 10V max.
    The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max.
    The camera requires 16W when in standby and is not charging the battery.
    The camera requires 30W when charging the LP-E6 type battery.
    When powering your camera with a custom made power source, we recommend removing the LP-E6 type battery.
    The camera requires 22W when recording to external media with an active lens, full screen brightness, full tally brightness, high frame rates and is not charging the battery.
    Can't find it for the life of me but it's exactly that passage. I recall them saying they would add it to the manual and they have.

"When powering your camera with a custom made power source, we recommend removing the LP-E6 type bettery."

Just depends on what qualifies as custom made, I assumed It'd be anything other than the included power adaptor.

What happened to this v-mount plate from tilta? https://www.cinegearpro.co.uk/produc...pcc4k-cage-rig

Looks like a solid idea to get the thinner V-mount batteries onto the camera without rods and without using a different plate standard. Could just run a d-tap on a short cable out of the battery and into the side of the pocket 4k.

I sat down and calculated the weight of the body, cage, top handle, 12-35 panasoinc, core SWX, atomos shinobi and it comes out at over 2kg, fairly hefty.

yes it becomes quite hefty for hand held with that setup, better suited for easyrig. It would be much better if the body was just a box brain and small screen.

I was running small 12v power banks that worked well. The output jack became unusually hot over time and unstable so i switched to core swx. it all makes sense now that you mention it draws 30w to charge the LP also. Will test to see if they get hot without LP's

Is the core SWX, a cage and a monitor mounted to the cage the most compact and reliable way to over come the the pocket 4k's short comings? So far it's the best I've seen but sure is pricey, a 55Wh battery for 300+ AUD geeze but it does seem reliable where as I doubt some of the sony-npf plate work arounds.

Anyone else seen anything that keeps the camera fairly compact and doesn't resemble a science experiment?
    This is a possible setup with a CORE SWX and 500GB m.2 drive in a cheap generic case. Compact and ergonomic
    Attached Images
    "We all have wings, but some of us don't know why" INXS

http://athanor.com.au/campan/biov.htm

When I see those rigs I am always amazed. I understand that we all have different needs, but.. how do you focus, zoom and change iris? Ok, you simply set everything before and not changing anything during shot, but how do you reach lens with that brick under the camera? You cant go from the side since there is huge handle. From the top?