Thread: Pocket 4k Power Solutions

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Just found nice reply on other forum
    Dummy battery is easy way but not very safe. If power regulator fail it will burn camera.
    V-mount a bit safer because DC port can receive 12 то 20Volts usualy, and Vmount battery can output only 16.8V max. So Weipu6 to D-tap is good choice )
    Probably single Sony NP-F plate with passive dummy battery is the simplest, safest and less expensive power solution available right now.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Thanks. I am thinking the same. NP-F are 7.4 / 7.2 Volt. Same as LP-E6.
    And if you are using F960 / F970 you will get enough juice for maybe 2 hours and more.

Not the cheapest option, but I like the Hawk Woods Gripper 100Wh. It just clicks on to 15mm rods and powers the camera for hours. The charger is also significantly smaller than most v-lock chargers.

Public Service Announcement: ;-)

At the point I realized that my normal, go-to rig would have at least 3 items to power, I decided to finally (finally) stop futzing around with various different oddball batteries and USB this and that's and go v-lock:

https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.a.../1AW0TTAGVFD29

That's less than $300 to power camera, 7" monitor and follow focus motor for an entire shooting day. 2 d-tap, 2-USB, 12v and 7v. When I add up all the money I've spent on "cheap" batteries and chargers that I'm now going to chuck out the window, it comes to more than $300. I love a bargain, but this will be in my kit longer than this camera.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Public Service Announcement: ;-)

At the point I realized that my normal, go-to rig would have at least 3 items to power, I decided to finally (finally) stop futzing around with various different oddball batteries and USB this and that's and go v-lock:

https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.a.../1AW0TTAGVFD29

That's less than $300 to power camera, 7" monitor and follow focus motor for an entire shooting day. 2 d-tap, 2-USB, 12v and 7v. When I add up all the money I've spent on "cheap" batteries and chargers that I'm now going to chuck out the window, it comes to more than $300. I love a bargain, but this will be in my kit longer than this camera.
    I know it's only nine days since you posted this but can you already share some experiences? Thank you!

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    I know it's only nine days since you posted this but can you already share some experiences? Thank you!
    Sure. I used it for a shoot this past Sunday. It was on for 8 hours straight (recording off and on) and in that time used about half the battery. It is quite nice to not have to even think about looking at battery meters!

My rig has the battery balanced behind my shoulder. I did the entire day comfortably handheld. I'm no longer concerned about "big" batteries. This set-up was much more comfortable than smaller, lighter rigs. I think the only time my camera will leave this rig is to go on a gimbal or a jib.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Sure. I used it for a shoot this past Sunday. It was on for 8 hours straight (recording off and on) and in that time used about half the battery. It is quite nice to not have to even think about looking at battery meters!

My rig has the battery balanced behind my shoulder. I did the entire day comfortably handheld. I'm no longer concerned about "big" batteries. This set-up was much more comfortable than smaller, lighter rigs. I think the only time my camera will leave this rig is to go on a gimbal or a jib.
    Sounds great, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by gmfb; 01-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

I am using mini v mounts (swit 98wh). I could run all day with powering small swit monitorwith 2 batteries. All handheld, it is actually pretty stable with added weight. Good thing is that I am able to quickly remove nato handle with borh monitor and battery.
    5A0E31C5-6D69-4D6B-AA3A-CEE49855247C.jpg

Hope BM starts treating battery/camera power more seriously. It's ridiculous most (except URSA/UM/UMP) cameras have the power treated as afterthought. Shot on Canon XF, XC and C300 for years, and somehow you just buy 2 or 3 batteries and you are set for a day of shooting. I do not understand why insistence on a closed battery compartment, which limits options

Is this true?
    At 1:26 into the video he says "you can't power the camera by the usb c port when the camera is on - but when the camera is off you can charge the battery inside.
    I can't seem to get that to work.
    Curious.
    Thanks