Thread: Better quality h264 renders

1. #1 Better quality h264 renders 
    Hello,

Is it possible for resolve to render out better quality h264 files? As I compare DNxHD and h264, the qualilty loss is HUGE. Not sure if other NLE's have better quality h264, but this is almost unusable for me. Would be great if that could be looked into, or send me some tips how to improve h264 renders from resolve.

Thanks,

use HandBrake app https://handbrake.fr
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Which version of Resolve are you on? I had a lot of trouble getting 14 (maybe 12 too?) to respect the bitrate settings i chose (would choose, eg, 60000 and the render would be way way less than that). So on 14 I would render cineform in resolve and thenb h.264 elsewhere.

15 seems to have resolved this for me.

Resolve 15
    Def not for me.
    Ill try handbrake.

thx!

It just a huge waste of time to compress to h264 directly from NLE. Usually h264 compression methods in NLEs are very primitive. h264 compression may be done in very different ways. Sometimes it needs double pass calculation which will double project render time and may take a while if there is a lot of plugins and layers in NLE project. More efficient method is do a single master render to quick and simple ProRes codec from NLE and then experiment with h264 settings and compression methods in other dedicated app with advanced settings.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    It just a huge waste of time to compress to h264 directly from NLE. Usually h264 compression methods in NLEs are very primitive. h264 compression may be done in very different ways. Sometimes it needs double pass calculation which will double project render time and may take a while if there is a lot of plugins and layers in NLE project. More efficient method is do a single master render to quick and simple ProRes codec from NLE and then experiment with h264 settings and compression methods in other dedicated app with advanced settings.
    Thanks, did not know that. And guess not many people will know that. As every freelancer I know just renders out h264 from Premiere, Adobe encoder or resolve, maybe Adobe media encoder is a bit better?? Well on windows its not possible to render to prores, so DNxHD is the way to go. Still need to test handbrake though.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    It just a huge waste of time to compress to h264 directly from NLE.
    obviously no technological reason that needs to be true.... handbrake is ffmpeg which any NLE could (and possibly do) implement if they wanted.