Thread: BMCC 2.5 footage looks so much better than BMPCC4K....

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PearFilms View Post
    are you serious? If you can't see stuff like that fine, but some of us can, you don't have to be ignorant about it.
    Then please start by giving a cogent definition of the two terms, and then go on to describe what factors in a camera system contribute to acquiring them.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Thanks for confirmation. I was gonna sell my BMCC after getting the pocket...but I just may hang on to it for specific looks I'd like to achieve which I believe it can give me natively better than the UMP and P4k.
    RAW DNG's do not utilize this noise reduction, so if you don't like it, it can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    RAW DNG's do not utilize this noise reduction, so if you don't like it, it can be avoided.
    Its great to have the choice. I can use different codecs for different uses. The UMP has got to be the most versatile camera in regards to codec, on the market.
    Last edited by jambredz; 11-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Wonder if they can simple add a menu option to toggle NR on and off

are you serious? If you can't see stuff like that fine, but some of us can, you don't have to be ignorant about it.
    If you can see it you can describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    If you can see it you can describe it.
    Well, not necessarily. But it's not helpful if you can't.

I can taste the difference in foods that I do not have the experience or vocabulary to describe. I would be of little help to a chef trying to give me what I want.

The thing is, you aren't seeing what you think you're seeing. Motion cadence is defined by frame rate and shutter speed and every singe camera with an electronic shutter deals with these things in the exact same way. If you're shooting at 24fps with a 180 degree shutter (1/48th shutter) then the camera is recording a new frame every 1/24th of the second and gathering light for exactly half the amount of time. Different camera don't "process motion" differently. Cadence is timing and computers get timing accurate down to millionth of second so there is objectively no difference between the motion cadence or motion blur in the Alexa, BMCC, P4K, or any other camera that uses an electronic shutter. Sure, the degree of rolling shutter can obviously effect motion but only in extremely high movement scenes. In shots with talking heads even most other camera shots with camera moves, a rolling shutters effect on motion is generally negligible at this point.

What you might be picking up on is differences in sharpness, vibrance of color, contrast, and things of that nature which can sometimes give people the impression that motion is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Myownfriend View Post
    What you might be picking up on is differences in sharpness, vibrance of color, contrast, and things of that nature which can sometimes give people the impression that motion is different.
    Especially sharpness and contrast, as these directly impact our perception of motion. All other things equal, a blurrier image is always going to be perceived as smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Then please start by giving a cogent definition of the two terms, and then go on to describe what factors in a camera system contribute to acquiring them.
    Again, sorry but you are being serious here? I’m not going to explain what cadence is.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Here is couple shots from the scene. First 2 shots are BMCC 2.5k. I think it was on 90 shutter angle I put it at to give that more chaotic look for the handheld. There's one more BMCC shot in there. All the other slow motion is the UMP. Rokinon DS were used on the BMCC and 85mm SLR magic APO Hyperprime Cinema lenses on the UMP. I took off the top flag of the mattebox on the UMP to make the lens flare alot as the director liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJntR2371rw

And yes B raw does look clean and creamy...a bit 2 clean and creamy, like some smoothing is going on.
    Yeah that first shots sure does stand out. I noticed the same stuff with the ursa mini 4K, and the ursa mini pro. Is it the lack of DR, is it more contrast, other colour science, different resolution, I am not sure, but also it looks more filmic to me. Sure wish I could get my UMP to that point more easy. (as the UMP easily has this kind of hazy look to it and doesnt pop out that much as this bmcc does, I do love the DR of the UMP but I would prefer a BMCC image with the DR of the UMP)

Me personally dont like the flares on the UMP, and these days try to avoid them as much as possible, as they lift the image up to a nasty place in my personal opinion, but I have friends like your director friend that love it.