Thread: BMCC 2.5 footage looks so much better than BMPCC4K....

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    does the pocket 4K turn red to orange in prores like my bmcc does?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzzxx View Post
    I know you're joking but yes, SO many people here seem to think that if only they were able to get the right lens or camera that their image all of a sudden is going to look good, yet they completely neglect the actual, you know, cinematography side of things.
    "Garbage in, garbage out" or "If you want to have a great looking image, point it at something that looks great" should be basic wisdom and applies to any image capturing device. But it's just as true as that there are differences between those image capturing devices and the images they produce. Alexa is different to RED. Differences vary and are subject to taste. I don't see any use in denying that but there is a rude effort going on here to prove negative opinions about P4K's image compared to BMCC as basically 'incompetent user-errors'.

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    Alexa is different to RED.
    Interesting that you bring up these two cameras, as there are some parallels in comparing the BMCC and the P4k. In many ways, it's easier to make a modern RED match an Alexa than it is to try to make an Alexa match a high resolution RED sensor.

I know I'm going to get destroyed for that suggestion, `cause the Alexa is "magic", but anyone who has ever tried, objectively, to mix and match the two knows it is true.

As more and more footage comes out I'm not sure how there's even an argument anymore.

P4K

I just wrapped a commercial yesterday where my A cam was my Ursa mini pro and B cam was my BMCC (pocket 4k en route at the moment) and my BMCC footage looks more "filmic" to me because it has a nice grain structure. I was shooting 2.5k DNG and 4.6k Braw 8:1...and the B raw is SO clean....whereas the BMCC has a nice grain to it. However I was not shooting the B cam....the director was... I'm not entirely sure how he was exposing for the scene.

Side note...does Braw add some sort of noise reduction? Footage from it is very clean. I need to compare it to CDNG.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I just wrapped a commercial yesterday where my A cam was my Ursa mini pro and B cam was my BMCC (pocket 4k en route at the moment) and my BMCC footage looks more "filmic" to me because it has a nice grain structure. I was shooting 2.5k DNG and 4.6k Braw 8:1...and the B raw is SO clean....whereas the BMCC has a nice grain to it. However I was not shooting the B cam....the director was... I'm not entirely sure how he was exposing for the scene.

Side note...does Braw add some sort of noise reduction? Footage from it is very clean. I need to compare it to CDNG.
    Vic and I were just talking about how clean and creamy BRAW is.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Yes, it does, as part of the debayer stage that happens in-camera with BRAW. That's why you can now shoot up to ISO 3200.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Oh Good Lord. As if "cinematic" wasn't bad enough, now we're trotting out "cadence." Hold on everyone, next up is "magic" and "mojo".

Excuse me while I go take a Polaroid of my vinyl records.
    are you serious? If you can't see stuff like that fine, but some of us can, you don't have to be ignorant about it.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    Vic and I were just talking about how clean and creamy BRAW is.
    Here is couple shots from the scene. First 2 shots are BMCC 2.5k. I think it was on 90 shutter angle I put it at to give that more chaotic look for the handheld. There's one more BMCC shot in there. All the other slow motion is the UMP. Rokinon DS were used on the BMCC and 85mm SLR magic APO Hyperprime Cinema lenses on the UMP. I took off the top flag of the mattebox on the UMP to make the lens flare alot as the director liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJntR2371rw

And yes B raw does look clean and creamy...a bit 2 clean and creamy, like some smoothing is going on.
    Last edited by jambredz; 11-24-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Yes, it does, as part of the debayer stage that happens in-camera with BRAW. That's why you can now shoot up to ISO 3200.
    Thanks for confirmation. I was gonna sell my BMCC after getting the pocket...but I just may hang on to it for specific looks I'd like to achieve which I believe it can give me natively better than the UMP and P4k.
    Darren Scott