Thread: BMCC 2.5 footage looks so much better than BMPCC4K....

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 BMCC 2.5 footage looks so much better than BMPCC4K.... 
    I Got my pocket 4k in last week and when comparing any footage to what i used to shoot on the original BMCC it just looks so digital. To be honest...I hate it. I think I want to sell this thing and just buy a BMCC 2.5 cam again. I have a narrative I want to shoot and the 2.5 just looks so much less digital and sterile even with the same lens.

Anyone else feel this way? It's very obvious to me. I was hoping this cam was going to look like the 2.5k but with so many more options

I think it's all in your lens, light, and how you process it. I have both and love the look of both.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

Quote Originally Posted by marshallbaker View Post
    I think it's all in your lens, light, and how you process it. I have both and love the look of both.
    Obviously those things factor in, but they create a very different image no doubt. I MUCH prefer the 2.5k. I hate the word "filmic" but it just looks so much more natural.

There is no doubt the BMCC produces a different and nicer image (opinion).

The Pocket 4K is pretty much a GH5S give AND take.

And sometimes I feel like they were rushed/forced to make this camera...and took a bit of a step back from their signature image.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Myers View Post
    it just looks so digital.
    I always hate when people say stuff this. No camera's image looks digital since all sensors are analog, so what is that supposed to mean?

From my own small comparison with the Pocket 4K and the original, the most noticeable difference was how much more contrast and noise the original has. That being said, they can be matched to some degree. You can even just shoot some of the original Pocket's noise and overlay it onto Pocket 4K footage and obviously it'll give it a more gritty look.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    And sometimes I feel like they were rushed/forced to make this camera...and took a bit of a step back from their signature image.
    It looks nearly identical to the Ursa Mini Pro. They purposely shifted away from the BMCC, BMPCC, BMPC look years ago.

Horses for courses. If you shoot primarily corporate/commercial, the new Pocket 4K is great. If you’re shooting a feature, sure, get the OG 2.5k, the image out of that cam was delicious.

I myself am missing the look that you get from the original pocket and micro. I can't tell if its because of the extra 4k resolution thats tricking me into thinking its clinically too clean and less organic. Need to figure out how to dial that look back in I guess. Still think its an amazing camera.
    Last edited by iammuc; 11-10-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Just shot a short on the 4K with my Veydras and I love the look. If it looks too sharp then blame your glass and cinematography. Sure, HD hides a lot of that, but the weakness isn't the camera.

It does look less noisey and also softer but has more detail because of 4k. I would attribute that to colour science 4 and some element of BRaw that already got transferred over to the P4k.
    Could they just leave out noise reduction like they do with other BMD cameras?