Thread: Wireless HDMI Reloaded

1. #1 Wireless HDMI Reloaded 
    A few years back there was a massive thread here about low-cost hdmi wireless solutions. They are primarily aimed at home cinema use, for connecting a laptop to a large TV etc., but people started using them on cameras as well. I remember back then, the Nyrius Aries Pro was the most reliable solution, but then the product mysteriously disappeared from the market only to return with a massive markup.

Anyway, this is all a few years ago and Amazon nows lists a slew of wireless hdmi solutions, all with differing reviews and differing distances, in the range of 100 to 300 USD. With the new pocket on the market I was wondering if anyone here has tested these? Most of them take a 5v usb power in, which in theory the USB-C on the pocket should supply? This could be a really low-cost but lightweight to supply a wireless video signal to directors, focus pullers etc. I'd be interested to hear about latency, how these react to fast movement (which is something that doesn't occur in a home cinema setup) and quality when direct line of sight is obstructed.

I am not expecting Teradek-like quality from these, but for low-budget handheld shooting these might be really useful in supplying a video signal to the director and untethering the camera

FWIW, I use this for about 5 years now (I assume it's similar to the Nyrius) and it often outperformed Teradek and Paralinx in my experience.
    http://www.camotionllc.com/radian-a-106.html

These never failed on me, contrary to expensive Teradek or Paralinx solutions, which more than a few times had issues. I met crew on the other side of Germany who had similar experiences especially with Teradek.
    Reach on these cheap units usually is way less then industry standard but was always enough for me.

Thanks for the link - seems like a great solution, however quite pricy? Seems like the cheapest set starts at 1200 USD? These have come down radically in price - the Nyrius Aries Prime costs around 200 USD as a comparison.

I've just started thinking about a wireless system so appreciate this reload a great deal..

My goal is two-fold. A directors monitor/video village and focus pulling. Maybe the other way around.

This issues seem to be signal strength, latency, how the devices are powered, certainly cost. Then there's reliability and the companies ability to stand by them.

I'm wondering what wireless systems those of you who have them are using.

The Hollyland Cosmo 400 is $999 on B&H right now.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    A few years back there was a massive thread here about low-cost hdmi wireless solutions. They are primarily aimed at home cinema use, for connecting a laptop to a large TV etc., but people started using them on cameras as well. I remember back then, the Nyrius Aries Pro was the most reliable solution, but then the product mysteriously disappeared from the market only to return with a massive markup.

Anyway, this is all a few years ago and Amazon nows lists a slew of wireless hdmi solutions, all with differing reviews and differing distances, in the range of 100 to 300 USD. With the new pocket on the market I was wondering if anyone here has tested these? Most of them take a 5v usb power in, which in theory the USB-C on the pocket should supply? This could be a really low-cost but lightweight to supply a wireless video signal to directors, focus pullers etc. I'd be interested to hear about latency, how these react to fast movement (which is something that doesn't occur in a home cinema setup) and quality when direct line of sight is obstructed.

I am not expecting Teradek-like quality from these, but for low-budget handheld shooting these might be really useful in supplying a video signal to the director and untethering the camera
    I was in on that original thread...
    Pisser.. Yeah, I had just put in an order for that great Aries Pro kit, but had my order cancelled the next day because YUP... Pulled from the market for a while, only to return at FIVE TIMES the price.

Got any Amazon links to any well reviewed examples?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I was in on that original thread...
    Pisser.. Yeah, I had just put in an order for that great Aries Pro kit, but had my order cancelled the next day because YUP... Pulled from the market for a while, only to return at FIVE TIMES the price.

Got any Amazon links to any well reviewed examples?
    Yes that what I was pretty much wondering as well - is anyone here on the forum using these home cinema ones from Amazon in the 150-300 dollar range? The cosmo, while interesting, is certainly outside that range. I am specifically something that makes sense financially with the new Pocket.