Thread: is a riser essential?

1. #1 is a riser essential? 
    Looking to get a cheap follow focus for my micro, atm it's just in a smallrig cage on a smallrig 15mm rod setup without a riser. Now is it essential that I rise the camera up to a standard height in order for the follow focus to work? I really don't want to and don't intend to use a matte box.

I'm looking at getting this follow focus - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neewer-A...yjwn:rk:1:pf:0

If you're wanting to go with a gimbal, you might look at some of the new ones that have FF add-oms that work with the gimbal, like the Ronin-S or new Crane Weebill or Crane 3 LAB.

This tilta wireless one looks cool https://tilta.com/shop/nucleus-nano-...ontrol-system/

but atm I'm just looking for a cheap manual one as I don't have a follow focus yet. I see the wireless ones are quite the bit smaller does that mean a manual one would need a riser to work?

Anyone know?

OK, I have a nice little lightweight follow focus that will fit most lenses with out the riser, yours for $100, with the two rod, or single rod connection and spare wheel. This is a very nice little setup, FocusPlusmwith the add on delay rod and metal control knob added. Yours for $100. PM me for details and photo.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Anyone know?
    It really depends on the lens, how far the 15mm rods are from it, and the follow focus system itself. If the rods end up being too close to the lens then there may not be enough clearance for the follow focus to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    It really depends on the lens, how far the 15mm rods are from it, and the follow focus system itself. If the rods end up being too close to the lens then there may not be enough clearance for the follow focus to fit.
    I understand, the cog might not fit between the lens and the gear ring. The neweer one above seems to be able to slide in and out, I might just risk it because it's cheap and local. If I really need to I have a little small rig cheese plate I can tack on for a slight boost in height. Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if there's an 'optimal placement' for where it should be sitting or is it simply - if it works it works?

Cheers for the offer Denny but I might have to pass as your location is quite far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Do you know if there's an 'optimal placement' for where it should be sitting or is it simply - if it works it works?
    If you're going for a motorised focus unit, they are quite compact and small, but can be difficult to keep stable.

If you're going for a standard no-motorised follow focus unit, you'll to attach it to both 15mm rods for stability. So therefore you'll need clearance above (or if the rods are top mounted, below) the 15mm rods. This is where it all depends on your lens/FF combination. You can get some where the 0.8 pitch gear (that engages the lens) has a swinging arm so it should easily accomodate different lens diameters (like this https://www.shoot35.com/CINEfocus-Pr...ollowfocus.htm). But you still need enough clearance to fit it between the lens and rods - usually at least 15-20mm +.

Also, be very wary of buying something too cheap as if it has any play, I'll be basically useless. Also, the gears on the cheap ones may wear out over time and become loose - therefore developing play. As I'm sure you've already done, check the real world reviews. Or, if you can affard it, spend a bit more as it's likely a piece of gear you'll be able to use for every camera you'll ever own.