Thread: Best $69 dollars I ever spent. An Ursa Mini 4.6k story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best $69 dollars I ever spent. An Ursa Mini 4.6k story 
    Just wanted to share this because even though I got my problem solved some others might run into the same thing.

Got my UM46k Monday - did about 5-6hrs of testing in all the various formats and speeds, etc..... Did I mention this was after an all day video shoot? I stayed up overnight until 5 am Tuesday, slept for 2 hours and then took my new baby out for a video shoot with a client. Everything was going great - we shots tons of sexy looking b-roll for about an hour, then we were going to shoot some interview. While I was dialing the volume from the boom mic - the menu seemed to get a little jittery ( i was maybe touching the screen options really fast) then after I exited the menu and went to record - it wouldn't record and told me that the drive was unreadable and i needed to format it.

I didn't want to freak out in front of my client so I switched to another SSD and shot all the interviews and figured I'd resolve the 1st SSD issue when I got home. Got home, Windows wouldn't recongize it and told me to format it - f#$#$%! - put it back in the camera - was hoping I could at least use the SDI out to record to my video assist if I had to - no luck - told me to format it.

Tried using a data recovery software called "GetData" which ran for about 5 hours and didn't find ANYTHING. 2nd software - "MiniTool Power Data Recovery 8.1" - ran for about 3hrs and at the end of it recovered every single shot. Free version only let me see the files, had to pay $69 for a license that then let me copy the DNG's to another drive. Everything opened up after that in Resolve and looks great.

Sorry for the length - to summarize - don't go crazy scrolling through menu's too fast - and if your SSD or CFast get's borked - try "MiniTool Power Data Recovery 8.1". It was only a 1500 project, but not having to tell my client I fubar'd their footage and would have to reshoot is priceless. $69 to maintain my reputation with my client is a no brainier.

Hope that app info helps someone in the future.

P.S. - My Pocket 4k arrives Friday! This has been a good week. Happy shooting guys!
    P.P.S. - The Ursa 4.6k footage looks amazing!
    Last edited by marshallbaker; 10-31-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

"MiniTool Power Data Recovery 8.1"

Cool. Got it.

I've also heard that "Disk Drill" is a monster little data recovery app too.

"I’d also recommend R Studio, that is the best data recovery software I’ve used."
    Cool. Thanks Darren
    Last edited by DPStewart; 11-01-2018 at 04:32 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Hopefully this never happens again but if it does and MiniTool doesn't work, I'll check out Disk Drill. Pretty crazy how the first app didn't find anything but the 2nd got it all. Good to know the available options out there.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

I was doing data recovery on someone's hard disk that no longer recognise and Windows just hung whenever it was connected via a USB cradle or as a slave drive. In fact PC will not even boot when the faulty drive is attached. The local computer geek declared the drive as dead. I connected the drive via usb cradle to my Mac and it picked it up no problem and see all the files like as though the drive is working fine. If you are running Windows and your drive has failed it worth mounting it on a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I was doing data recovery on someone's hard disk that no longer recognise and Windows just hung whenever it was connected via a USB cradle or as a slave drive. In fact PC will not even boot when the faulty drive is attached. The local computer geek declared the drive as dead. I connected the drive via usb cradle to my Mac and it picked it up no problem and see all the files like as though the drive is working fine. If you are running Windows and your drive has failed it worth mounting it on a Mac.
    I'm glad you brought that up - I have a really old macbook (2010ish) and I did plug it in there to check too (wouldn't even mount). Forgot to mention that but you're definitely right to try on a mac too.

Should point out too that I'm using the official Blackmagic SSD module - I know some folks have had errors on the home-made solutions. I'm pretty sure I was just futzing with the menu's too fast. Haven't had a problem shooting last night or today.

what did you format the SSD as in camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam E View Post
    what did you format the SSD as in camera?
    ExFAT

I can attest to Disk Drill being good, I’ve used it a couple times to fix Lexar Cfast cards that weren’t properly ejected with their card reader.

I’d also recommend R Studio, that is the best data recovery software I’ve used.

Did you switch video codecs on the same SSD?