Thread: BMPCC 4K Moire

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ok, I tried again this morning, but my co-worker did not bring the shirt. The one he had on today was similar, but a different color. I could not get any moire to show up. Maybe this was an extreme edge case. I will run the test again next week if I can get him to bring the shirt back in.
    -Michael Beck

When someone asks me what wardrobe to bring or not bring, that shirt is exactly what I describe to never wear on-camera. The fact that it doesn't look like an optical illusion tells me that the camera handles moire pretty well.

Was your original shot RAW or ProRes?

If RAW, I bet ProRes (which uses the new BRAW debayering) would not exhibit the "problem."

That said, this is a spectacularly minor amount of moire. Please show it to your bosses because I'm dying to know if they would actually notice it! Do you work for eagles?

FWIW I was going to start a thread a while ago titled "What's Missing in the P4K", with my clever answer being: moire

Done a few multi location/subject corporate/institutional docs with it in the first few weeks and I have seen virtually no moire or aliasing in hundreds of clips (all ProRes.)

On my very humble laptop at 1080p that moire was SCREAMING at me. I'don't know how anyone here is missing it.

However - THAT SHIRT?? I would honestly like to see exactly which high-quality cameras DON'T show moire with that devil of a shirt.
    I've seen similar moire on the Canon C300 MKii with Sigma lenses. That camera is no slouch.

If the GH5 doesn't show moire with that shirt then I would predict a significantly softer image is being captured and then in-camera sharpening applied.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

One should test it with an Alexa, a Red or a BM46P with the Rawlite. I bet they'd show minimal aliasing, they all strike the proper balance between aliasing and sharpness.

And screaming at you on your laptop? Are you sure the was no additional scaling involved? Any scaling can introduce more artifacts.

I couldn’t see it on my phone and iPad, not until the zoomed video. Seems very minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    On my very humble laptop at 1080p that moire was SCREAMING at me. I'don't know how anyone here is missing it.
    You might have been seeing moire introduced by scaling on your end? At 4K it's negligible.