Thread: Dynamic Range Tests by cinema5D (Arri, BMPCC, GH5/5s, FS7/A7sI, FUJI X-T2/X-T3)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Dynamic Range Tests by cinema5D (Arri, BMPCC, GH5/5s, FS7/A7sI, FUJI X-T2/X-T3) 
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Nice effort, it's good to see numbers coming from an independent source.

The trouble with this is that it's using a DR chart, which means it just checks if there's a signal. Heavy in-camera noise reduction would make a camera look unfairly good here, because that signal cleanup has no negative side effects: they're not checking if textures and detail are preserved.

I'll probably run a test this weekend to see how the p4k compares with the Sonys. Given this was already done, I'll do the other thing and check texture and detail.

Also different cameras able to recover different amount of additional stops from shadows depending of codec, bit depth, noise structure and additional manual noise reduction. For example GH5s may look close to BMPCC on paper but you can easy recover 3 additional stops from BMMCC shadows . Same trick impossible with GH5s.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

In the comments they say BMPCC4K numbers are coming soon. Let's hope they're similar to the ones of the BMPCC.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

For a $1,500 hybrid camera, that X-T3 is doing some fine work. It sure would've been nice if they'd enabled a raw signal out over HDMI.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    For a $1,500 hybrid camera, that X-T3 is doing some fine work. It sure would've been nice if they'd enabled a raw signal out over HDMI.
    No kidding, basically the same dynamic range as the original Pocket in RAW? Wow.

Oddly, though, this chart shows no more dynamic range in the original Pocket in RAW vs. ProRes, and I always found it had about a 1+ stop more in RAW.

My guess is that the Pocket 4K may have just under 13 stops in 4K Raw. Right near the Fuji XT2

Wish they also measure BMMCC to see is it true that it slightly outperforms BMPCC due better cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    Nice effort, it's good to see numbers coming from an independent source.

The trouble with this is that it's using a DR chart, which means it just checks if there's a signal. Heavy in-camera noise reduction would make a camera look unfairly good here, because that signal cleanup has no negative side effects: they're not checking if textures and detail are preserved.

I'll probably run a test this weekend to see how the p4k compares with the Sonys. Given this was already done, I'll do the other thing and check texture and detail.
    Agree.
    Also very strange to see if you scale down from UHD to 1080p you will get more DR. (According to Cinema5D)
    This cannot be right. Also no difference between Pocket ProRes and RAW. ? Raw got highlight recovery and the noise is different. Hmmm.
    And a huge difference betweeen Gh5 and GH5s. Over 1 stop.

what the fuck is going on? It is a very good idea to test DR but those numbers ... I don´t know what to think.

Take Cinema5D chart with a pinch of big salt.