Thread: Pocket 4K / Metabones Ultra / Viltrox EF-M2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On metabones speedbooster you can adjust the center element and re-tighten it down to eliminate the soft edges. I first diescovered this when using the 1st pocket. It’s not hard to fix. I’ll make a video and show you how.

Edit: It looks like I won't be able to make a video until next week. In the meantime, you can do some experimenting on your own. there's a sweet spot on the metabones speedboosters where you get the full range of your lens. I have a set of contax and on the 28mm i noticed it was a very short throw, I also noticed on my 21mm that the edges were very soft. I did some research and found nothing. But I did see people talking about setting back focus etc on electronic lenses and that gave me an idea. I had to replace the mount on the bmpcc speedbooster to get it to fit on my bmmcc so in having to disassemble it I noticed the element was threaded and had a locking screw on it. I started to experiment with it and I discovered that, the element must be set correctly otherwise you not only lose throw on your lens but you get soft edges. when it is set correctly you will be able to go to just before your lens says infinity and you should be at infinity. you should also have your closest focus as well. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if this applies to your speedbooster but I imagine they stole the design from metabones so should be similar.
    Last edited by Steven6d; 10-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post

14mm @ f3.1

Focus set as close to infinity as it will focus. (This combo has never had accurate infinity focus on any camera.)
    Notice how the center of your frame is out of focus while the edges are in focus? If this isn't too much to ask, could you do the same test again but try and get the center in focus? I have a feeling that once you focus for the center, the edges will be soft, which is exactly the problem I've been having.

Pocket 4K

GH5

Sorry, I'm just not seeing much of a difference between the 2 cameras. The lens+Speedbooster is performing on the P4K about the same as it has on the GH5.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Sorry, I'm just not seeing much of a difference between the 2 cameras. The lens+Speedbooster is performing on the P4K about the same as it has on the GH5.
    No need to be sorry, thanks for taking the time to do the tests! Personally I see a pretty big difference in the two images you posted. The edges are way softer on the bottom image than the top. That's pretty surprising since I've heard a lot of good things about how well the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8 performs wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    No need to be sorry, thanks for taking the time to do the tests! Personally I see a pretty big difference in the two images you posted. The edges are way softer on the bottom image than the top. That's pretty surprising since I've heard a lot of good things about how well the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8 performs wide open.
    Remember, the bottom image is the GH5. I think the majority of difference between my few shots comes down to manually focusing without too much care (Very hard to get perfect manual focus with the GH5's tiny screen) not some inherent problem with the P4K - at least with this adapter/lens combo.

btw, this is the Rokinon Cine f/3.2 not the f/2.8. It's also not the newer DS version.

Thank you all for your contribution ! The samples provided by joe12south are very interesting ! There's obviously not much difference between the gh5 image and the P4K ! It's a good thing I guess... Eventhough both look very soft on the edges. I hope someone with a metabones ULTRA will be able to test wide angle lenses and show us results !

Quick off-topic: Does somebody know if the "old" metabones Nikon G / MFT speed booster works with the 4k? and by how much does it reduce the crop factor?
    GRÉGORY

I just got the Viltrox and it sucks when trying to shoot wide open on f1.4 lens its get soft and dreamy like a bad lens do. Its only becomes ok when step back up to f1.4.
    Have I got a bad one or are they all like that?

BTW my old lens turbo focal reducer perform way better IQ wise but it has no electrical contacts.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 11-05-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I just got the Viltrox and it sucks when trying to shoot wide open on f1.4 lens its get soft and dreamy like a bad lens do. Its only becomes ok when step back up to f1.4.
    Have I got a bad one or are they all like that?

BTW my old lens turbo focal reducer perform way better IQ wise but it has no electrical contacts.
    Interesting, I've been seeing this from many people however when the GH5 first came out and the viltrox came into play the examples were quite good, in some cases very hard to tell them appart. I wonder if there's a bad bunch around?