Thread: Few things about my Pocket 4K...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    So you uninentionally recorded threee times because you were getting familar with the buttons.
    That's not a reason to warn others of an "issue" is my point.

I don't understanf your statement, "and I wonder whether or not I figure out the trick to it with further use".

There isn't a trick to figure out.
    If you're in playback mode the camera is programmed to bring you back to shooting mode by hitting the record button.
    Again, its like this on other cameras

You just weren't/aren't familar with the camera yet.
    Not an issue, just a matter of knowledge/understanding of the interface.

It's in the manual for a reason like all the other functions.
    Chill out fella. Why are you so quick to discredit? How has your experience been with the camera?

If it happened three times, it's something for new users to be mindful, so it's worth putting out there. It's something I never had to be wary of with the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

What I mean by 'figuring out the trick', is that I have to be aware of how I press the button. Am I pressing it too hard, too long etc.

But let me know if it's ever happened to you when using the camera. It's really the tiniest of things, let's not blow it out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Per the manual: "Press the record button to exit playback and return the touchscreen to the camera view."

I too would appreciate an option that doesn't trigger an accidental recording.

Errr...

only if you push it twice will it record...

It's always been one push to get back from playback mode....

JB

It's fairly easy to accidentally press it twice, or maybe even "long press it", as I've done it, too. And from a pure UI/UX standpoint, its just, well, awkward. Is the play button a mode toggle, or is it a action button? It's neither and both. Objectively, not the best UI decision.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    It's fairly easy to accidentally press it twice, or maybe even "long press it", as I've done it, too. And from a pure UI/UX standpoint, its just, well, awkward. Is the play button a mode toggle, or is it a action button? It's neither and both. Objectively, not the best UI decision.
    Yeah that's exactly it. It's too easy to do unintentionally.

It's not a massive thing though.

I've just gotta be wary of it. Be nice if a double menu press or even an icon on the touch screen could do it?

But meh, shows how great the camera is that it's the one thing that has stuck out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Chill out fella. Why are you so quick to discredit? How has your experience been with the camera?

I don't think I discrdited you. I clarified the idea that there was an issue - because it's the way the camera is designed and something a lot of users understand.
    Again, it's in the design, in the manual.
    I thought that was worth people understanding as opposed to flagging it as a problem.

But I get that you feel it can cause you to accidentally record something...and I want you to be abe to chill out too.

FWIW I've been writing a good deal about my experience with the camera, batteries, monitors, quaity etc. on a number of initial film shoots.

Can see some of that nasty red clipping in Dale's video. Is BMD going to do something about that besides saying you can fix it in post?
    http://www.gamma-movie.com The IndieGathering 2016 best Sci-Fi feature screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Can see some of that nasty red clipping in Dale's video. Is BMD going to do something about that besides saying you can fix it in post?
    I'm sure there was a work around that captainhook pointed out. I really pushed the crap out of the grade, so I'd definitely take the red clipping with a pinch of salt!

The red clipping is there, and doesn't depend from your grade. You can see it in log pictures before the color gradding. Here is the work around provided by Captain Hook. But I would prefer having a clean picture straight from the camera.

2.jpg

1.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by slothorp; 10-23-2018 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Yeah that's exactly it. It's too easy to do unintentionally.

It's not a massive thing though.

I've just gotta be wary of it. Be nice if a double menu press or even an icon on the touch screen could do it?

But meh, shows how great the camera is that it's the one thing that has stuck out!
    Dale, I too think you are exaggerating this as problem. I have been using BMD cameras since 2013 (BMCC, UM46k and now PCC4K) and not once I managed to accidentally start recording when trying to leave the playback mode. One short press of the REC button brings you back. Even a long press doesn't do any different. And finally even a double or triple press doesn't either. I have no idea how you managed to start a recording - only explanation is you must have banana fingers ;-)