Thread: Few things about my Pocket 4K...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for that Alex!

I thought it’d be useful to see it in that context!

You really don’t need much to get some decent images out of the thing.
    Can’t wait until more people get their hands on it!

I think instead of opening a new thread I'll just hijack yours, since I'm on the same boat: just received my p4k and have very similar thoughts and questions (e.g. the playback thing also got me, I spent a couple of minutes trying everything except the record button, duh).

I ended up getting a slow 256GB CFast card (the Transcend 600x) instead of a fast SD card (anything V90 and not too dubious was more expensive than that). It can do 4k 60fps 4:1 RAW (or as least it worked on my test, which was about one minute long).

Question: how does the flicker correction work? I told the camera I'm on a 50Hz country but setting 180 shutter doesn't addjust the shutter to the closest 50x multipliers, which means I have to switch from 172 for 24fps to 216 for 60fps. I'd like to have the camera automatically switching to these close-to-180-but-without-flicker options by itself.

Great query Sam! Happy for you to chime in!

As you can see in my video, I had some trouble with the flicker from the sodium street lamps, would love to know if I could’ve solved it at the time?

I’ve still got a lot of testing to do. Coming from the original BMCC, I’m having to reprogram myself to expose differently. I don’t believe ETTR gets you the best image from this sensor. The highlights do act differently.

Would ETTL be the way to go?

I kind of love the highlights in this cam though. For me it feels like the different sensors are like different film stocks, and understanding how to shoot to get the most out of them is the fun part!

ETTR is generallyl a good idea with any camera shooting RAW. On this one you may have to leave a bit more room before you allow it to clip, though. I haven't tested myself yet, but there was a comparison with the alexa somewhere and well, it's nice but not Alexa-nice XD

Looking at the manual, it seems the 50Hz/60Hz setting only makes the camera suggest more appropriate shutter speeds, but won't change them on its own.

I would like the camera to somehow remember that when I shoot 24fps I want 172 (1/50s) shutter, and when I shoot 60fps I want 216 (1/100s) shutter (make that 1/60s and 1/120s if you're in a 60Hz country). But it seems I need to press three buttons in order to get this: first the HFR button, then the shutter button (because, even though I only use manual lenses, the wheel can't be mapped to automatically affect shutter speed), then the shutter adjustment.

Oh well, it's still better than on my old Sonys that required going to the awful main menu...

Per the manual: "Press the record button to exit playback and return the touchscreen to the camera view."

I too would appreciate an option that doesn't trigger an accidental recording.

It's ilke other cameras, nothing new or dangerous - the Micro is the same for instance.

Hitting the record button doesn't go into record when you're in playback it just takes you out of playback mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    Looking at the manual, it seems the 50Hz/60Hz setting only makes the camera suggest more appropriate shutter speeds, but won't change them on its own.

I would like the camera to somehow remember that when I shoot 24fps I want 172 (1/50s) shutter, and when I shoot 60fps I want 216 (1/100s) shutter (make that 1/60s and 1/120s if you're in a 60Hz country). But it seems I need to press three buttons in order to get this: first the HFR button, then the shutter button (because, even though I only use manual lenses, the wheel can't be mapped to automatically affect shutter speed), then the shutter adjustment.

Oh well, it's still better than on my old Sonys that required going to the awful main menu...
    I guess it's nice the suggestion is there, and the fact that we have the amount of control we have. I did think it was some kind of detection system, though. Ah well, maybe in a firmware update

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Per the manual: "Press the record button to exit playback and return the touchscreen to the camera view."

I too would appreciate an option that doesn't trigger an accidental recording.
    Damn! That's genuinely the exit button... I wonder whether another solution could be made through firmware, maybe pressing the menu button again, like on the BMCC?

Thanks for finding that joe!

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    It's ilke other cameras, nothing new or dangerous - the Micro is the same for instance.

Hitting the record button doesn't go into record when you're in playback it just takes you out of playback mode.
    With the original Blackmagic, once in the menus I just press menu again and it takes me back to record mode. As I mentioned, the couple of hours I spent familiarising myself with the camera, it unintentionally recorded three times.

Definitely not a huge deal and I wonder whether or not I figure out the trick to it with further use, but something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    As I mentioned, the couple of hours I spent familiarising myself with the camera, it unintentionally recorded three times.
    Definitely not a huge deal and I wonder whether or not I figure out the trick to it with further use, but something to be aware of.
    So you uninentionally recorded threee times because you were getting familar with the buttons.
    That's not a reason to warn others of an "issue" is my point.

I don't understanf your statement, "and I wonder whether or not I figure out the trick to it with further use".

There isn't a trick to figure out.
    If you're in playback mode the camera is programmed to bring you back to shooting mode by hitting the record button.
    Again, its like this on other cameras

You just weren't/aren't familar with the camera yet.
    Not an issue, just a matter of knowledge/understanding of the interface.

It's in the manual for a reason like all the other functions.