Thread: A few tests

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here are a few with correct white balance:

Last edited by david evans; 11-22-2018 at 06:10 AM.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the "wrong" white balance to the proper ones. Without knowing the full story perhaps the colder look is more appropriate, but to my eye, the warmer look just feels better.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    For what it's worth, I much prefer the "wrong" white balance to the proper ones. Without knowing the full story perhaps the colder look is more appropriate, but to my eye, the warmer look just feels better.
    Hey Aaron. Final grade will probably sit somewhere in between both, but this is definitely a film that is not supposed to look comfortable. From the very beginning I knew I needed the coldness of a room with blue walls to get some sort of oppression and claustrophobia.

The first grade makes the images feel a lot more positive because of the warm tones. If your goal is oppression and claustrophobia, the cooler tones will do the job.
    Subjectively, without regarding the context, I like the warmer tones more, but for the scene the cooler approach is probably more suitable. Maybe some green tones will even increase the uncomfortable vibe you want to convey.

A few BTS:

Last edited by david evans; 11-21-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Wow! Really great stuff. These are some of the best looking and most cinematic frames I've seen shot on Blackmagic. Did you use any sort of diffusion with the Master Primes?

Love the look David. I also started a new short in a hotel room and we have been working on it. We also just put up the trailer of my last short which to date has been officially selected in the Prima Roma festival and a semifinalist at the Hollywood International Film Festival. Here's the trailer to it. https://youtu.be/Co9E0nVogQg. We shot this on a mini Ursa 4k with Rokinon cine lenses.

This looks really good. Looks like some diffusion was used in some shots. What filter was that?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by rygenova View Post
    Wow! Really great stuff. These are some of the best looking and most cinematic frames I've seen shot on Blackmagic. Did you use any sort of diffusion with the Master Primes?
    Thanks. I used different strengths of promists on different scenes, especially when the story approaches the end and I wanted a more mystical look. I actually shot this on an Alexa XR with MPs, but it was just because the rental house was kind enough to lend me that camera with no extra charge. I know my Ursa Mini well enough to know that I could pull a very similar look. The MPs, on the other hand, are a very very... very hard to beat set of lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    This looks really good. Looks like some diffusion was used in some shots. What filter was that?
    Thanks jambredz, good eye on spotting the diffusion. I actually used different strengths of promists towards the ending of the story. Here are a few examples (first three are without diffusion and the last three are with promists 1/4):