Thread: External Monitor for Pocket 4k

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Oh, Denny...

I also wonder why the pocket didn't get a 4K output...maybe just too much for it to handle.

So I will do some more tests but this may not have been a good solution. The dummy battery powers the camera, so i set record to uhd prores lt to see how much time i can get. The camera shut off in 12 minutes. Monitor stayed on. Not sure why this would happen?

UPDATE: This seems really dumb but i got 40 minutes of record time nom stop before the camera shut off using the Smallhdfocus and Large Anton Bauer battery. I then plug in my canon brand lpe6 and record 40 minutes exactly as well non stop before it dies. So literally I get no extra juice using the bigger battery of the smallhd.

Now I will probably have to find someone to buy my smallhd canon combo pack since the reason I bought it was for extended battery life. Id rather get a cheap $150 dollar monitor and a vmount at this point.
    Last edited by Peter917; 10-21-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter917 View Post
    So I will do some more tests but this may not have been a good solution. The dummy battery powers the camera, so i set record to uhd prores lt to see how much time i can get. The camera shut off in 12 minutes. Monitor stayed on. Not sure why this would happen?

UPDATE: This seems really dumb but i got 40 minutes of record time nom stop before the camera shut off using the Smallhdfocus and Large Anton Bauer battery. I then plug in my canon brand lpe6 and record 40 minutes exactly as well non stop before it dies. So literally I get no extra juice using the bigger battery of the smallhd.

Now I will probably have to find someone to buy my smallhd canon combo pack since the reason I bought it was for extended battery life. Id rather get a cheap $150 dollar monitor and a vmount at this point.
    There's got to be something wrong there. Your SmallHD and camera can't be drawing that much power to make the entire point of the device obsolete. Maybe the battery is going?
    Definitely would love to hear from other folks. I bought the SmallHD Focus for this reason but just haven't set it up with the dummy battery yet.

I find it hard to believe the battery is going, as I just bought the smallHD. i even had the pocket 4k brightness at low.

The micro will shut off if the voltage drops below 7v, my small hd dp4 runs the battery further below 7v. Ive found that powering my camera with the 12v pin and using a plate to step the volatge up to 12v from the npf 8v it lasted longer.

Yeah, Just plugged up again and went from 100 percent to about 30 percent on the smallhd in 20 minutes without even recording. Once I remove the dummy battery from the pocket, the smallhd jumps back to 80%

are you using the SmallHD mainly to power the camera or as a second functional monitor? I ask because the p4k monitor is brilliant. It kind of makes sense to me that your not getting longer runtime because your powering both the monitor and the camera body off of one battery all be it a larger battery via dummy battery. You've just relocated the internal battery to the monitor thats all. Now if it was supplying power via the side ports (which it cant because its a 12v input and the SmallHD cant output 12v) then you would see extended runtime because you are now running off of 2 batteries instead of a dummy if that makes sense. It would power and charge the internal until it drained leaving you with internal battery as redundancy power to continue shooting while replacing the external one. Thats how I have set up my micro and old pockets via DC input. This new 12v two pin power in socket makes it a little less convenient to do.

As you have said, this is probably not the right setup for you if you are purely after extended runtime.
    Last edited by iammuc; 10-23-2018 at 01:52 AM.