Thread: Pocket 4K red clipping

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Haven't noticed it to that degree on the Pocket 4K. Beautiful imagery on that video but the clipping is strange though
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Interestingly, and perhaps luckily for BMD, research has shown there's not much of a market for taillight videos. The audience for random shots of sodium lights and street neon is a little better.

:-P

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Interestingly, and perhaps luckily for BMD, research has shown there's not much of a market for taillight videos. The audience for random shots of sodium lights and street neon is a little better.

:-P
    While I know your joking unfortunately the bad clipping is what's making the tail lights a feature of these videos while they should be another background element.

[QUOTE=squig;256030]Greens are clipping (when you wouldn't expect them to with just about every camera) too.

But the reds are in a league of their own...

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

WOAH!.....
    That red clipping is a show stopper. And a deal breaker if this one camera's results prove typical.
    That's like the crazy blue clipping on the unusable first Sony A7s.

This is enough for me to hold off on my order until this gets resolved.
    Those clipped reds are far worse than any camera I've shot with... or rather 'that I've owned'. And they come flying off of more than just "red lights" in this video as well.
    This is scary, and I hope it proves to be an anomaly.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Is red clipping only on Colour version 4?

You don't have color science version 1 with BMPCC4K.
    Though not as problematic, you can see that color science V4 can generate slightly red clipping with pictures coming from old BMPCC whereas there is no sign of it in color science V1.
    Last edited by slothorp; 10-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Not that I don't want this fixed, but I've been shooting for two weeks and haven't once seen an issue. I'm not doubting the problem would be there if I decided to shoot straight into neon or colored LEDs at midnight, but instead I'm shooting the normal stuff someone would be paid for. It just seems a little knee-jerk to not buy this camera because of an edge case...unless your business is shooting cities at night. If that truly is what you shoot, well, then I guess you are out of luck.

Whether by revised profiles or firmware, I'm sure this will get "resolved" (see what I did there.)

Quote Originally Posted by slothorp View Post
    You don't have color science version 1 with BMPCC4K.
    Though not as problematic, you can see that color science V4 can generate slightly red clipping with pictures coming from old BMPCC whereas there is no sign of it in color science V1.
    Still a valid question for troubleshooting. It's easy enough in Resolve to force different gamma and gamut. Would be interesting if the issue is inherent in the file, or how the file is being interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Not that I don't want this fixed, but I've been shooting for two weeks and haven't once seen an issue. I'm not doubting the problem would be there if I decided to shoot straight into neon or colored LEDs at midnight, but instead I'm shooting the normal stuff someone would be paid for. It just seems a little knee-jerk to not buy this camera because of an edge case...unless your business is shooting cities at night. If that truly is what you shoot, well, then I guess you are out of luck.

Whether by revised profiles or firmware, I'm sure this will get "resolved" (see what I did there.)

You don't have to shoot at midnight straight into neon to raise the problem : just shoot a city street scene at night and you will see it. Which, I think, is a real problem, even if you can have a work around in post. Doesn't mean that I want to get rid off the camera, as I like very much what's coming from it, after two weeks of getting used to. But I really hope BM will acknowledge the issue and try to fix it.