Thread: Pocket 4K red clipping

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Clipping chroma in REC709 is not hard to do even with correct exposure if the camera is capable of reproducing a significantly wider DCI-P3 or REC2020 HDR color gamut. Not a camera problem. A color space conversion management problem.

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    Clipping chroma in REC709 is not hard to do even with correct exposure if the camera is capable of reproducing a significantly wider DCI-P3 or REC2020 HDR color gamut. Not a camera problem. A color space conversion management problem.
    It may be, I don't know.
    But what I do know is that
    1 - I have only seen this issue with pictures coming from the BMPCC4K
    2 - it only concerns the red (so not just clipping chroma)
    3 - Every software will read the clipping in the same way. You won't be able to solve it outside resolve, without slightly changing the overall image.

So, in my book, even if it's not a camera problem, it happens to be a specific issue from this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I really dig the way so many dudes from Australia look like they played for AC/DC at one time or another.
    And haven't updated their hairstyle since "Back In Black" was released.

Quote Originally Posted by slothorp View Post
    It may be, I don't know.
    3 - Every software will read the clipping in the same way. You won't be able to solve it outside resolve, without slightly changing the overall image.

So, in my book, even if it's not a camera problem, it happens to be a specific issue from this camera.
    A lot of RED cameras have problems with bright reds like neon signs or brake lights. Which is kind of ironic of course...

Here’s an ungraded still from a music video I’m currently conforming, guess what camera it’s from. It’s an unfortunate reality when shooting cheap LED lights for many cameras.

32881562-2592-488A-B7EA-3BF45F076880.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slothorp View Post
    It may be, I don't know.

There may appear to be an issue here with the P4K, I haven’t shot it enough to know, but it’s not an issue that’s exclusive to this camera. Any time you shoot super saturated colours like LEDs it shows up with almost any camera. I saw it without BLUE leds in a bar on alexa footage just a couple of days ago.

JB

I see it too on my google pixel 2 (not as much expensive as the Alexa, but not far from the P4K!). Never on the old BMPCC, though, which was my previous camera for those last 5 years. So I guess I wasn't expecting to see it in such a harsh way on the pocket4K. In addition, the fact it occurs with red lights makes it very disturbing when shooting at night in a city, with all the car lights. Which is a pity because, after two weeks of testing and shooting with it, I find that the images coming from this camera are gorgeous. So I still hope that BM will recognise the problem. Otherwise we will have to go through the post-production process Captain Hook suggested.

Did a test today which seems to indicate that v4 color science strongly, but not solely impacts this issue...

PROCESSED WITH V4 COLOR SCIENCE

PROCESSED WITHOUT V4 COLOR SCIENCE

Well if it's coming from color science v4 then that's not such a problem really. Because you don't have to use v4, and because BMD can fix it if it's just color science software/firmware.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Well if it's coming from color science v4 then that's not such a problem really. Because you don't have to use v4, and because BMD can fix it if it's just color science software/firmware.
    It's challenging to NOT use v4. In order to do my test, I opened a single DNG in Capture One. Even Photoshop/Lightroom applies the v4 profile.