Thread: Pocket 4K won't record to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards?!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    It's worth reminding that peak data rate and maximum sustained data rate are two very different things. IMO, the SD card rating that you really want to pay attention to is the "v" rating. I'm not even going to try v30 cards in this camera. v60 (rare) or v90 are the way to go.
    The Extreme Pros were the go-to cards for owners of the original Pocket and RAW Pocket footage was always above 30 MB/s even at 24 fps.

It's worth reminding that peak data rate and maximum sustained data rate are two very different things. IMO, the SD card rating that you really want to pay attention to is the "v" rating. I'm not even going to try v30 cards in this camera. v60 (rare) or v90 are the way to go.
    All the jargon and marketing things printed on cards are meaningless. As the original pocket taught us real life experience is all that matters. The Sandisk Extreme Pros that worked so well with the original pocket are worth a try... assuming you get them from a legit source. Also wait for Blackmagic to update their recommended card list.

We attempted all the reading, extrapolating, and logic the last time around. Only thing that worked was putting the card in the camera and stress testing.

And you can't even film it at 120P.
    That is the true crime.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    The Sandisk Extreme Pros that worked so well with the original pocket are worth a try...
    Keep in mind the original 95mb/s cards vary in sustained data rate depending on what capacity card you get. Also just save yourself some hassle and get a card that has a V rating.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Keep in mind the original 95mb/s cards vary in sustained data rate depending on what capacity card you get. Also just save yourself some hassle and get a card that has a V rating.
    Just to do a little myth busting, My Sandisk Extreme Pro card that is not V rated works perfectly fine in my original pocket.

And to reiterate we went through the whole "get a card with this written on it" routine the last go around. It didn't work. There is no substitute for testing.

And yes cards of different capacity can have speed variations regardless of what is written on them. The solution? Test the card.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Just to do a little myth busting, My Sandisk Extreme Pro card that is not V rated works perfectly fine in my original pocket.

And to reiterate we went through the whole "get a card with this written on it" routine the last go around. It didn't work. There is no substitute for testing.

And yes cards of different capacity can have speed variations regardless of what is written on them. The solution? Test the card.
    One point I was trying to make was that even on the original Pocket (I had one), the original SanDisk Extreme Pro cards (pre V-ratings) had very different performance characteristics between cards of different capacities, so people can't just assume that someone's "SanDisk Extreme Pro card" will work - because there are differences even between a particular generation of cards. The V-ratings should be treated as a minimum (which exactly what they are) - if a V60 card from a manufacturer doesn't work, a V30 card certainly won't. If there is no V-rating whatsoever, just plan on it not working without testing. Just because a certain card works with a certain bitrate on one camera doesn't mean it will work on another camera at a similar bitrate. We're agreeing more than we're disagreeing here, but the V-ratings DO actually mean something; they were created for a reason. That doesn't mean a camera's particular implementation is going to be as good as another camera's, which isn't the card maker's fault. And there can always be a bad card - or a bad batch of cards. Shit happens.

UPDATE: FOUND WORKING SD CARDS

After returning the SanDisk SD cards to B&H last week, I purchased a new pair of cards on Amazon. Specifically, the Angelbird AV PRO SD 128GB SDXC UHS-II U3 Class 10 V90. They're working like champs so far, and at $350 for the pair, they're about $70 less than I paid for the SanDisk cards.

I've run a few tests, and here's what I've found so far (your mileage may vary!):

These SD cards CAN capture 4k Raw at 23.98. I did not try 25 or 30. Naturally, the cards can not handle Raw at 60p (including 4:1) at 4k or UHD. No surprise there. They CAN capture HD Raw at 60p if that matters to you.

I had mixed results recording 4k ProRes HQ at 60p. After formatting the card in-camera, and trying to record 60p, frames would drop within a few seconds. However, things seemed to work perfectly when I tried recording again. I was able to repeat this pattern a few times (format the card, 1st attempt failed, 2nd attempt worked). Strange! ProRes 422 60p worked just fine.

I went with the sony UHS-II cards over the Angelbird because of the supposed higher write speed of 299MB/s Vs Angelbird 260MB's. Works fine recording 3:1 raw 60p but can only do 30p lossless. I'll never shoot lossless though. Counting the days for BRAW =)

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    I went with the sony UHS-II cards over the Angelbird because of the supposed higher write speed of 299MB/s Vs Angelbird 260MB's. Works fine recording 3:1 raw 60p but can only do 30p lossless. I'll never shoot lossless though. Counting the days for BRAW =)
    The peak speak won't matter for video - it's the V rating that matters, the minimum sustained write speed. Which Sony did you go with, the older UHS-II, or the new 'tough' ones?

I've read nothing but good about these new Angelbird products. I've never heard of them until recently, but they've already earned a great reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    The peak speak won't matter for video - it's the V rating that matters, the minimum sustained write speed. Which Sony did you go with, the older UHS-II, or the new 'tough' ones?

I've read nothing but good about these new Angelbird products. I've never heard of them until recently, but they've already earned a great reputation.
    I went with the standard ones, couldnt get the tough ones off the shelf. Tested in store before I walked out. put it through its pace on a shoot raw 3:1 4kDCI 50p. had no issues.

I was surprised to see that none of the SanDisk SD cards were on Blackmagic's recently released recommended card list...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59025