Thread: Pocket 4K won't record to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards?!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Very strange. Lots of counterfeit Sandisk cards out there, but if you bought from B&H it should be genuine. Maybe run the AJA System Test to benchmark the card. It will give you a graph and you can see how far the data rate dips.
    Hi Chris! I tried the AJA test. Looks like there are some troublesome dips. Here are the results:

ajatestsdcard.jpg

Some of those look pretty bad. Was this on a freshly formatted card? I have a 95MB/s Sandisk extreme pro and a Samsung Evo Select Micro SD that I’ve run this test on and I think the lowest either of those cards have dipped was maybe 45. Maybe you can return it to B&H or get Sandisk to replace it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Honestly, unless a card has a V-rating, you don't know exactly what you're getting. And that's even if you're getting a card that's not a fake (though with B&H, it's almost certainly not a fake). Some cards (or batches of cards) could be a dud, but, until SanDisk starts committing to a V-standard (_minimum_ sustained write speed) on all their cards (currently only some do - and I think all of their SD and MicroSD cards that do are only V30), I think the days of "just buy SanDisk Extreme Pro" are on pause. UHS-II says nothing about minimum sustained write speed for video.
    Yeah, I've been learning more about the V-rating. Also, I spoke with a tech-support rep at BM today. He said they expect the new list of recomended cards should be up in a day or two. Surprisingly (but possibly very telling), the tech rep had no idea if the card in the marketing matterials had actually been tested with the camera. He's digging a litlte more and getting back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Somethings not right. I've been shooting ProRes HQ UHD for days with out a single issue on a couple of 95MBs V30 Extreme Pros.
    I wonder if the v30 Extrreme Pros have a more consistant data rate than the 128gb UHS-II cards like the ones I have (that seem to lack a V-rating).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Someone also complained of this stating that they used the same card and formats in the UMP so I think it's gonna be a firmware fix.
    I REALLY hope so. Likely too late for me to return these expensive little buggers (over 30 days). I'm going to call B&H tomorrow and plead my case. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Turboguard View Post
    Same here, zero problems with the 95Mb/s as long as I’m shooting pro res above 1080p.
    Hmmm... Again, I wonder if the v30s have a more consistant data rate than the non v-rated UHS-II cards. Sure seems like that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    I have the sony UHS-II cards. No dropped frames on 4k lossless Raw for total card size. Where did you buy your card from? I question if its a genuine sandisk. Return it if you can for replacement.
    Got it. Ok, a positive vote for Sony. I got these SanDisk cards from B&H, so I'm assuming their legit. I'm going to try to return despite having purchased them over 30 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    This may be a weird question, but how are you inserting the card? Are you holding it in and waiting for it to mount before letting go of your finger? The reason I'm asking is because of how the UHS-II contacts are laid out on the card. If you hold the card in place and wait for it to mount in the camera, it may mount as USH-I instead and run slower.
    Thanks for thinking outside the box. No, I'm not holding them in. Inserting, releasing, and then booting up.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Some of those look pretty bad. Was this on a freshly formatted card? I have a 95MB/s Sandisk extreme pro and a Samsung Evo Select Micro SD that I’ve run this test on and I think the lowest either of those cards have dipped was maybe 45. Maybe you can return it to B&H or get Sandisk to replace it under warranty.
    Yeah, I tried formatting in the camera, and in the computer. No difference. I'm going to call B&H tomorrow. I got them over 30 days ago, so I may be stuck. Thanks for the suggestion to call SanDisk. I'll try them if B&H won't help me out.

Weird because, with my OG BMPCC, I was able to write to my UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pro cards to record at speeds above what's required for 4:1 DCI 4K at 24 fps. I specifically tested the cards speed with the original Pocket because I wanted it to have be as similar of an operation as possible to what the Pocket 4K would be doing. Managed to record for the entire length of the card with no drop frame warning. You may be right that the V30s might be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Myownfriend View Post
    Weird because, with my OG BMPCC, I was able to write to my UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pro cards to record at speeds above what's required for 4:1 DCI 4K at 24 fps. I specifically tested the cards speed with the original Pocket because I wanted it to have be as similar of an operation as possible to what the Pocket 4K would be doing. Managed to record for the entire length of the card with no drop frame warning. You may be right that the V30s might be more consistent.
    Ditto. Shot to San disk Extreme Pro UHS-1 95MB/sec card last night. DCI Prores 422 and it worked fine. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by inthemind View Post
    Ditto. Shot to San disk Extreme Pro UHS-1 95MB/sec card last night. DCI Prores 422 and it worked fine. No issues.
    Thank you. This certainly seems to be a trend.

8. #18 Good news and bad news 
    Good news and bad news!

The bad news: After additional extensive testing, I'm now 100% convinced that these cards are totaly useless in this camera. Stay away at all costs! Side note: I contacted SanDisk just to make sure these cards were not counterfeit. Haven't heard back yet.

The good news: B&H has agreed to take back the two cards and issue a full refund, despite the fact that I purchased them over 30 days ago. Whew!

Thanks for the input, everyone!

We like happy endings.

Now you can get a few USH-I cards, save a lot of money and shoot to your heart's content.

Very weird, I am testing my 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card U3 Class 10 NON V30 card and it is recording Prores 422. I am sitting at 14 minutes non stop and no dropped frames. Going to test HQ next and then Raw. Currently seeing how much battery life I get based on types of recordings.

UPDATE:

Something weird is going on, it recorded 16 minutes straight of DCI 4k 422 then dropped frames. Then next recording it only recorded 12 seconds before frame drop, and this continues. So I select LT and now dropped frames at 50 seconds. Yet it was able to record 16 minutes straight to start..

Once I format the card and start clean it records the 422 DCI 4k no issues. Not sure if it will drop frames again at some point.
    Last edited by Peter917; 10-11-2018 at 10:21 PM.