Thread: Pocket 4K won't record to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards?!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket 4K won't record to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards?! 
    Hi all!

I was super excited to receive my Pocket 4K yesterday, but I've had BIG PROBLEMS recording to new SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II SD cards -- the SD cards pictured in the Blackmagic marketing (see below). While shooting at 23.98, some formats drop frames almost instantly (to be expected with Raw), and some formats drop frames a little later, but ALL formats drop frames. Every single one. Even ProRes Proxy HD. I've tried multiple cards, fresh batteries, and even different lenses (just for kicks). I've formatted the cards in the camera, and then on a Mac. Nothing works. Not a single recording without dropping frames. The cards are new, purchased from B&H. I should also point out that recording to SSD works perfectly.

I've notated the seconds-to-failure in a chart that I've attached below. The times don't even make sense in some cases (i.e. ProRes Proxy HD dropped out almost a minute sooner than ProRes Proxy UHD).

Has anyone had good experiences with this camera & card combo, or can anyone tell me why this isn't working? Yes, I know BM hasn't published a new list of approved SD cards, but considering they use these cards in their marketing, surely they should be able to record SOMETHING. I posted this same question on Blackmagic's forums, but it looks like these forums are more active. Hoping someone has some insight.

Thanks in advance!

times.jpg

marketing.jpg

Caleb of DSLRshooter just tested his and he was surprised the angelbird sd card worked for lossless.
    Take a look at his just finished podcast here.

Very strange. Lots of counterfeit Sandisk cards out there, but if you bought from B&H it should be genuine. Maybe run the AJA System Test to benchmark the card. It will give you a graph and you can see how far the data rate dips.

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershok View Post
    Hi all!

I was super excited to receive my Pocket 4K yesterday, but I've had BIG PROBLEMS recording to new SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II SD cards -- the SD cards pictured in the Blackmagic marketing (see below). While shooting at 23.98, some formats drop frames almost instantly (to be expected with Raw), and some formats drop frames a little later, but ALL formats drop frames. Every single one. Even ProRes Proxy HD. I've tried multiple cards, fresh batteries, and even different lenses (just for kicks). I've formatted the cards in the camera, and then on a Mac. Nothing works. Not a single recording without dropping frames. The cards are new, purchased from B&H. I should also point out that recording to SSD works perfectly.
    Honestly, unless a card has a V-rating, you don't know exactly what you're getting. And that's even if you're getting a card that's not a fake (though with B&H, it's almost certainly not a fake). Some cards (or batches of cards) could be a dud, but, until SanDisk starts committing to a V-standard (_minimum_ sustained write speed) on all their cards (currently only some do - and I think all of their SD and MicroSD cards that do are only V30), I think the days of "just buy SanDisk Extreme Pro" are on pause. UHS-II says nothing about minimum sustained write speed for video.

Somethings not right.

I've been shooting ProRes HQ UHD for days with out a single issue on a couple of 95MBs V30 Extreme Pros.

Someone also complained of this stating that they used the same card and formats in the UMP so I think it's gonna be a firmware fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Somethings not right.

I've been shooting ProRes HQ UHD for days with out a single issue on a couple of 95MBs V30 Extreme Pros.
    Same here, zero problems with the 95Mb/s as long as I’m shooting pro res above 1080p.

Almost all formats work with my v90 card.

I have the sony UHS-II cards. No dropped frames on 4k lossless Raw for total card size. Where did you buy your card from? I question if its a genuine sandisk. Return it if you can for replacement.

This may be a weird question, but how are you inserting the card? Are you holding it in and waiting for it to mount before letting go of your finger?

The reason I'm asking is because of how the UHS-II contacts are laid out on the card. If you hold the card in place and wait for it to mount in the camera, it may mount as USH-I instead and run slower.