Thread: Ronin-S Test w BMPC4K

1. #1 Ronin-S Test w BMPC4K 
    Not the pocket but the dusty ol Production Camera and the Ronin-S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha-OFXZhGs0

The Production 4K camera really does have a unique look doesn't it? I happen to like it a lot. It doesn't seem like it was ever a very popular model though. IDK, I could be dead wrong about that.

Capture.jpg
    old still from Production 4K shoot.

Some might say it's not totally smooth but I'm actually really digging the slight footsteps feel of this. Feels like unbelievably smooth handheld. Maybe it's the form factor but it's a different feeling to the wobble you might get with a two handed gimbal. I dig it.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Some might say it's not totally smooth but I'm actually really digging the slight footsteps feel of this. Feels like unbelievably smooth handheld. Maybe it's the form factor but it's a different feeling to the wobble you might get with a two handed gimbal. I dig it.
    If anything more user error. Gimbal handled the form factor just fine. Most of the perfectly smooth examples I found online were shot in 60 or 120p in front of their house.

This was shot in windy conditions on a dirt path and at 24p.
    Last edited by misterkofa; 10-08-2018 at 04:40 AM.

I frikkin' love the look of the PC4K.

Remember Corey from Faymous Media in NY? (Old member here.)
    I used to watch as much of his stuff as I could because he was using the PC4K a lot, and he shot some really slick stuff. He'd even often do reviews of other cameras shot on the PC4K.

It's a much more modern and slick look than the Cinema Camera and Pocket but I REALLY like it. Aside from the lower dynamic range I might even say I prefer it.

And that gawt-dayum global shutter makes a HUGE difference.
    I used to have a link to a YT video somebody put up comparing the global shutter on the PC4K to a few other cameras, and even JUST seeing him walk from behind the camera out to the set he had set up in front you could CLEARLY see the inferiority of rolling shutter EVEN just on his normal-pace walking. This was NOT any kind of placebo effect - I had half a dozen other people look at it and everyone could see it.
    That damn video almost ruined me for all rolling shutter cameras. Especially because I come from the older days of 3-CCD cameras that were, of course, all global shutter sensors.
    When CMOS cameras with rolling shutter came out, I though it would just be a horrible temporary passing phase until they worked out the technology... bummer.

Thanks for putting this up Kofa.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

If only they managed to pull off global shutter on the ursa and micro eh.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I frikkin' love the look of the PC4K.

Remember Corey from Faymous Media in NY? (Old member here.)
    I used to watch as much of his stuff as I could because he was using the PC4K a lot, and he shot some really slick stuff. He'd even often do reviews of other cameras shot on the PC4K.

It's a much more modern and slick look than the Cinema Camera and Pocket but I REALLY like it. Aside from the lower dynamic range I might even say I prefer it.

And that gawt-dayum global shutter makes a HUGE difference.
    I used to have a link to a YT video somebody put up comparing the global shutter on the PC4K to a few other cameras, and even JUST seeing him walk from behind the camera out to the set he had set up in front you could CLEARLY see the inferiority of rolling shutter EVEN just on his normal-pace walking. This was NOT any kind of placebo effect - I had half a dozen other people look at it and everyone could see it.
    That damn video almost ruined me for all rolling shutter cameras. Especially because I come from the older days of 3-CCD cameras that were, of course, all global shutter sensors.
    When CMOS cameras with rolling shutter came out, I though it would just be a horrible temporary passing phase until they worked out the technology... bummer.

Thanks for putting this up Kofa.
    Gonna hold on to this camera just a little bit longer. DR is it's weakest feature but it's very usable if you know the camera.

Ronin-S = 1,5 kg on its own. Up to 3,6 kg payload.

With the Pocket 4K I would love to see a 750g gimbal with a payload up to 2.0 kg.
    The Pocket 4k with half cage will weight around 900 g. And a small lens and speedbooster it will be around 1,5 kg.
    I want my gimbal as lightweight as possible.

Problem with smaller gimbals is that the pocket is to wide to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post

Problem with smaller gimbals is that the pocket is to wide to fit.
    A simple offset plate does the trick, no biggie.

For the RoninS (and probably any other one hand gimbal) on such terrain, you need one of those "steadycam" handles, to get rid of the bobbing.