Thread: Pocket 4K Battery Compatibility

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    "Just drill into the battery."

"Don't tell people to do stupid dangerous things, Joe. This is the Internet."

"Shut up and hand me the Tide Pods."

I got a couple of RAVpower batteries, and they seem to work nicely: they don't get stuck, and seem to last long enough (33 minutes of 4k RAW 4:1 60fps recording; I still have to check the BM one to see how it compares) . I didn't even try to get the percentage indicator, since others have said it's not reliable.

Anyone find any cheap mini v mount batteries & chargers? So far only seen expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Anyone find any cheap mini v mount batteries & chargers? So far only seen expensive ones.
    Sony 95Wh v-mount battery 190€
    d-tap charger 30€
    Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack 60€
    Battery plate and rod clamp maybe 50€

So over 300€ and 1kg extra weight for 6500mah of power. 4 good LP-E6 batteries are 120€ and will not add any extra weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Sony 95Wh v-mount battery 190€
    d-tap charger 30€
    Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack 60€
    Battery plate and rod clamp maybe 50€

So over 300€ and 1kg extra weight for 6500mah of power. 4 good LP-E6 batteries are 120€ and will not add any extra weight.
    But the v-mounts can power external monitors, lights, etc., etc., etc. Unless your primary mode of shooting is running around with a naked camera, they are a good investment.

I recommend going with an NP-F battery plate and a dummy LP-E6 battery for a minimal setup. It's easy to mount directly onto the camera without any cage or rods, perfect for when I'm just shooting something casual and don't want the attention of a full rig.
    Last edited by kin869; 10-23-2018 at 11:25 AM.

My test with the RAVpower LP-E6 battery, shooting 4k RAW 4:1 60fps: 33 minutes on the RAVpower, 38 minutes on the BlackMagic battery. At a third of the cost, I'd say it's close enough.

Also: I'm pretty happy with the battery life of the p4k in general. That was the worst case scenario. To put it in context, my three batteries would be enough to fill 1.5TB of storage space costing at least $1500...

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    I recommend going with an NP-F battery plate and a dummy LP-E6 battery for a minimal setup. It's easy to mount directly onto the camera without any cage or rods, perfect for when I'm just shooting something casual and don't want the attention of a full rig.
    Where do you mount it? Why is this materially different than a mini v-mount battery?

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Where do you mount it?
    You can mount it directly on the camera's 1/4" 20 at the top. This is the battery plate that I use. It's the same one that I used for the original BMPCC.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Why is this materially different than a mini v-mount battery?
    Dunno what you mean by materially different...but the battery plate I linked and the Sony NP-F batteries are relatively inexpensive and common compared to the mini V-mount. I have dozens of NP-F batteries laying around from different LEDs, so it was more convenient for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    I'd be really interested in seeing what kind of run time you can get from an NP-F via dummy vs 12v step up into the side of the camera.

I think Joe was referring to when most people would put the NP-F mount onrails the same as the v mount because they didn't trust the top thread with that much weight.

NP-F are much cheaper and easier to get aftermarket here though.