Thread: Pocket 4K Battery Compatibility

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Here is the message I got from CVP:

"The reason why the battery was stuck inside is that it’s not an original one. This ENEGON battery damaged the battery slot of the camera. Please always remember to use original batteries, as this unit requires only original batteries or high quality batteries (even if not original) otherwise they will get stuck inside."

So be very careful when using third party batteries with the Pocket 4k... The good part is that my camera is fully working and is coming back

Has anyone else gotten only 25 minutes with a Canon branded LP-E6? It showed percentage accurately, but maybe it's a fake.

And it is stuck. Love it.
    Last edited by gmfb; 10-16-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerfre View Post
    I had a Canon LP-E6 battery get stuck in my C4K camera yesterday. Baby stuck I mean the battery would not fall out when pressing the release that holds the battery in the camera. I originally tried gaffers tape, but it wasn't strong enough to pull the battery out. Finally, I stuck a piece of Ursa Mini Moleskin tape used to adhere lav mics on the battery and eventually was able to pull the batter out with that method.
    Same just happened to me. Would you mind please to elaborate further what exactly you did? Thanks a lot!

At this point I'm petrified to even try using my camera off of mains. There's no reason the tolerances on the battery compartment need to be this tight. I've seen more reports of stuck P4K batteries in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 10 years of Panasonic GH use.

2x Ravpower LP-E6 batteries and a charger is 40€ in Amazon.de. Pretty good price for LP-E6. Have to order bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Has anyone else gotten only 25 minutes with a Canon branded LP-E6? It showed percentage accurately, but maybe it's a fake.

And it is stuck. Love it.
    Where did you get the battery? There's a really good chance it's a fake.

I ordered one sold in "Canon" packaging for $25. I knew it was fake but wanted to see how it would perform in my tests..

It got stuck in the camera on a shoot in the wilderness Sunday filming mountain biking.
    There was no time to screw with it having all hiked in and with perfect light and action.

We always have a small tool kit with us and I had just called a quick break to switch batteries.
    My assistant grabbed the multi-tool out of the bag with a small flat head scew driver and I just pried it out. It took a little doing.

Not elegant but necessary and I'd rather blow a camera than an important shoot - I was prepared to gaffer tape a new batttery in if I had to break the door/case.

Anyway, it seems that there may be a battery slot tolerance issue.
    I've used tons of third party LPs on numerous Canon cameras without this happening and it happened the first time I put this new battery in.

The batteries do get hot. I've been testing several brands for the P4k and they're all hot when I take them out to swap and keep testing - but no battery has stuck in the camera except this one.

So for starters - stay away from the packaged "Canon" batteries that don't come from a B&H or Adorame etc. - for $25 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Where did you get the battery? There's a really good chance it's a fake.

Thanks Paul, you're right, must be a fake, bought it on ebay for 30 € (damn, the packaging looked SO legit) and after pulling it out with a tiny screwdriver discovered it is about one millimeter thicker than the BM battery.

Did a higher power draw test with 60fps prores proxy to an external 850 pro in a ugreen housing with 100% screen brightness. BM had 27 min and Ravpower had 34 min. Those results seem too far apart based on my previous test so I’ll run it again later this week.

Tip for monitoring battery power. You can tap on the battery bar or percent and it will switch to showing voltage. This will drop while recording until the camera shuts off. 6.3v seems to be the lowest that it can be at before shutting down. I’ll have to play a bit more with this to confirm(maybe it’s in the manual?) This seems perhaps a better way to know when you should swap batteries than trying to use the pretty much worthless bar or percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Same just happened to me. Would you mind please to elaborate further what exactly you did? Thanks a lot!
    I put a piece of Moleskin tape on the bottom of the battery and made sure it was covering the entire bottom of the battery. Then with the excess tape that hung over the edge of the battery, I used that as a flap to keep pulling until the battery finally pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerfre View Post
    I put a piece of Moleskin tape on the bottom of the battery and made sure it was covering the entire bottom of the battery. Then with the excess tape that hung over the edge of the battery, I used that as a flap to keep pulling until the battery finally pulled out.
    Thank you! Next time I try this method, for now brute force and a tiny scredriver helped.