Thread: P4K Observations thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 P4K Observations thread 
    Figured I'd start a thread for people to post up things they have noticed when using their P4K.

So far I've noticed when hitting HFR in 4k 25p 3:1 Raw the screen dims and histogram drops. Anyone else notice this?

Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    Figured I'd start a thread for people to post up things they have noticed when using their P4K.

So far I've noticed when hitting HFR in 4k 25p 3:1 Raw the screen dims and histogram drops. Anyone else notice this?

Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?

The higher the frame rate, the less light you are getting so the exposure drops.

Unless your shutter speed is equal to your frame rate - in both standard and over-cranked frame rate - you'll see a change in exposure when you switch to HFR.

For example:
    standard speed = 25fps at 1/50 second shutter speed
    high frame rate = 60 fps at 1/60 second shutter speed

In that scenario you'll have a different of 1/10 sec shutter speed when switching to HFR.

If you are keeping to the 180 degree shutter angle setting, then your shutter speed is always half your frame rate. IE. 25fps = 1/50 sec shutter speed. So that means if you go from 25fps to 50fps, your shutter speed will go from 1/50 sec to 1/100 sec. Effective one stop different in exposure. So yes, you'll see the screen dim and the histogram will accurate display that difference.

While recording in DCI 4:1 60fps onto an Angelbird CFast 2 Card I noticed that my BMPCC4K is possessed by the demon Pazuzu. I called Blackmagic and they said that an upcoming firmware should fix the issue. Until then I guess I’ll just have a priest bless the camera before each shoot. Annoying for sure, but not a dealbreaker.

thanks guys, learnt something new today. Something I'll take into consideration when wanting to switch quickly between the two.

Hi Muc! How are you?
    (Remember me? Venice, Bulgari)
    I imagined you were getting one. Sorry going shortly OT. Did you happen to try and shoot on the X-T3?
    Thinking about a B cam for quick stabilizer filming, X-T3 apparently has decent dr plus good autofocus. Then I'm sure P4K image will not scream dslr/mirrorless.
    Beside eventually commenting on X-T3, I'm happy I can read your valuable opinions on P4K
    Ciao!
    Alvise
    alvise-tedesco.format.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alvise Tedesco View Post
    Hi Muc! How are you?
    (Remember me? Venice, Bulgari)
    I imagined you were getting one. Sorry going shortly OT. Did you happen to try and shoot on the X-T3?
    Thinking about a B cam for quick stabilizer filming, X-T3 apparently has decent dr plus good autofocus. Then I'm sure P4K image will not scream dslr/mirrorless.
    Beside eventually commenting on X-T3, I'm happy I can read your valuable opinions on P4K
    Ciao!
    Alvise
    Hey!, will PM you.

I've been able to film stable UHD 23.976 ProRes HQ footage to a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card. No dropped frames in the clips I shot. I only went up to around 30 seconds, though. More testing coming tomorrow.

-It's much lighter than I expected.

-The screen is really good! It's the standout physical feature of this camera and makes it worth having the wider body.

-It's not perfect, but it is currently my favorite Blackmagic camera of all time. I've used/use the original, pocket, 4K production, Ursa Mini 4.6k, and Ursa Mini Pro.

-The screen is nice and bright at 100% and extremely dark at 0%. I'm thinking it would nice to use a function button to toggle between 0 and 100 brightness for battery preservation while shooting long form content. Fairly niche idea, but I'm sure it would be useful to some.

-I really like the on/off switch.

-My final observation for now is one that I'm guessing most people won't care about, but is very exciting to me. The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter. Obviously this is meaningless if you only ever plan to film real-time or slow-motion content, but if you also want to create timelapses with your P4K then this is a great feature to have! I think it makes sense to timelapse with a motion picture camera rather than a stills camera for many scenes and this probably won't be the last time you hear me talk about this in relation the the P4K.

Now, that I can open the memory door (thank you!) and have a Sony U3 300MB card I can try it. I'll take it out from the Sony A7III where it was very happy so far.
    "We all have wings, but some of us don't know why" INXS

http://athanor.com.au/campan/biov.htm