Thread: P4K and Sound

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    The real downer IMHO is that, unlike the old Pocket, there's no option to switch the stereo mini jack-in from mic to line levels (and this way bypass the internal preamp). This can only be done with the Mini-XLR-in, but restricts you to mono recording. Which also means: No simple workaround of connecting the line-out of a field recorder (like the Zoom H1) to the stereo mini jack of the camera.
    I can choose

3,5mm Left - Line
    3,5mm Right - Line
    3,5mm Mono Line

as well...

??

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    I can choose

3,5mm Left - Line
    3,5mm Right - Line
    3,5mm Mono Line

as well...

??
    You're right - I just got stupidly confused by the order of menu entries, my bad.

Still I wonder whether the weak preamp might be a production error in the first batch of cameras produced. Frank mentioned that the preamps should be the same/have the same quality as on the URSA Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    You're right - I just got stupidly confused by the order of menu entries, my bad.

Still I wonder whether the weak preamp might be a production error in the first batch of cameras produced. Frank mentioned that the preamps should be the same/have the same quality as on the URSA Mini.
    Maybe this IS the quality of the Ursa Mini preamps. I don't have an Ursa Mini, but if they have stereo XLRs, I doubt anyone would ever need/use a 3,5mm-input.

Has anyone had a more indepth test and play with the audio? Finding the levels always too low without a mixer in the 3.5mm (obviously should use xlr). Wondering what everyones setup is so far.
    Can anyone confirm if there is difference in levels from 3.5mm and mini xlr?
    Last edited by iammuc; 11-28-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    Has anyone had a more indepth test and play with the audio? Finding the levels always too low without a mixer in the 3.5mm (obviously should use xlr). Wondering what everyones setup is so far.
    Can anyone confirm if there is difference in levels from 3.5mm and mini xlr?
    I don't currently have a pre-amp with both XLR and 3.5mm out, so I can't say definitively with the exact same mic - BUT - I've tested in just about every other way and I can confidently say that both inputs are incredibly weak compared to ANY other device I own. Frustratingly low.

It's obnoxious to have to consider a $600 pre-amp, – and more gear hanging off of a rig – just to get usable sound. While not a primary factor, The XLR input was definitely one factor in me choosing this camera. I have $50 Olympus voice recorders (I hide them on talent as a back-up) with better audio quality, and that's no exaggeration.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Frustratingly low is an understatement. Wasted a whole day trying different setups with no usable results.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    Frustratingly low is an understatement. Wasted a whole day trying different setups with no usable results.
    That doesn't sound good.

I think it's safe to say there's a production issue that wasn't caught that screwed up the audio in the P4K. There's no way they intended audio to be this way when they spent so much time promoting it. If you have one, I'd either return it, or send it in and have it fixed.

I hired a Soundevice Mixer and finally bought the xlr adapter. Audio is much better now. can easily drop down xlr input levels really low with mixer. Wireless lav has better levels now too. I think I will be avoiding the 3.5mm jack in future. Someone needs to make a right angle mini xlr adapter though.